Need help new Clutch

AcMatt

new to fourms...Well my clutch recently went on my 98 integra gs..i cant get it into gear and i can put my foot down to the floor with no resistance and the clutch pedal dosnt come back up..SOoo iv had it parked at my girlfriends garage for the past week or so. I went and bought a clutch from ebay and i was wonderin how hard it will be to put it in.. do i have to dissconnect the engine or the transaxel or what..cus i dont have the kind of things needed for that kind of job..Also what kind of fluids will i need and what are the torque specs for the pressure plate..what tools will i need to do all of this.. i have manuels but they mean nothing to me really. Please help cuz i cant afford a mechanic there a bit pricy

chrisjames

chrisjames
dude it sounds like you have a leaking slave or master cylinder, or your pitching fork is outta whack. why did you buy a clutch before having the master, slave and fork looked at?

AcMatt

thats an easy one..im a dumb ass when it comes to cars lol..so far all iv done myself was my intake mannifold cold air intake and exhaust. what will it take for me to get it lookd at

also i wanted a new clutch at some point and this just gave me a reason to get one anyway

also its been fine untill it SLOWLY got worse.. to where when i pushed the clutch i could notice the difference every day on how bad it was gettin.. so its not like it happend all of a sudden

Last edited:

chrisjames

chrisjames
yeah if you have the money go for a new clutch but you should take it to a shop and have the cylinders and fork looked at, i would recommend getting both replaced at the same time because one usually goes after another. also check your brake fluid and see if its low thats a sign it's leaking. labor included your looking at $300-$350

AcMatt

see thats the problem i could manage to get that paid for..thats the cheeper one..but all the places i calld want a ass load of money to do the clutch.. between 400 and 800 for labor..and i cant afford the cheeper 400 pluss 350 to fix it..and im stuck cus i have no car to get to probation or work lol which is a bigggg problem..

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Check the master cylinder and slave cylinder for leaks. Sounds like that is the issue

Spody02

Name: Cody
i would just got buy some dot 3 brake fuild... look up how to bleed a clutch and just bleed it and see if that works...mine did the same thing then i bleeded it and havent had a problem since

TRY THIS!

Clutch Fluid

1. Open the hood of your car, and locate the clutch fluid reservoir (right next to the brake fluid reservoir, the smaller of the two fluid containers to the rear of the engine.

2. Locate the clutch fluid bleed valve, by standing in front of the car and looking down behind the radiator. You will notice a bleed valve very similiar to the brake bleed valve jutting out of the transmission case, to the left rear of the radiator.

3. Drape an old used shirt or towel behind the radiator, as the clutch fluid will come shooting out of the valve in upcoming steps.

4. Loosen the clutch bleed nut, and have your buddy press the clutch all the way to the floor. After the clutch fluid squirts out, make sure you close the clutch bleed valve before your buddy releases the clutch.

5. Repeat step 4 two more times, and then check the clutch reservoir fluid level, keep topping it off with ATE Super Blue every time it goes low from pumping the pedal, until all of the old fluid is replaced with the new fluid, similiar to the way you kept topping off the brake fluid reservoir. During the entire process, make sure that you never let the clutch reservoir get too low, or else air will get into the system.

6. Keep repeating step 4 and step 5 until the fluid that squirts out is blue. At this point, close the clutch bleed valve, make sure the clutch reservoir is topped off.

7. Press the clutch pedal while the valve is closed, and you should feel it pop right back up by itself. If it doesn't come all the way back up, it is still ok. Turn the car on, and take it for a spin. Test your brake and clutch pedals, and you should be all set !

got it from here... to lazy to write my own(also has how to bleed brakes and abs if you want to)
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=632721

Last edited:

AcMatt

Ok that is some great information i can do all of that EXcept the clutch i think.. I can put it to the floor and it dosnt come back up.. if its down to the floor is it still engaging because i can start my car without even touching the clutch so how will i be able to press it down or do this without getting air in the lines because it seems to be that the clutch is "stuck on or something lol" what can i do about this

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Ok that is some great information i can do all of that EXcept the clutch i think.. I can put it to the floor and it dosnt come back up.. if its down to the floor is it still engaging because i can start my car without even touching the clutch so how will i be able to press it down or do this without getting air in the lines because it seems to be that the clutch is "stuck on or something lol" what can i do about this
The master cylinder or slave cylinder is leaking. So it's not allowing is to build pressure to disengage the clutch when you push the pedal down. That pressure is also what makes the pedal come back up when you let off. There is a clutch switch that senses when the pedal is pushed down allowing the car to start. It doesn't have any relevance to the actual position of the clutch itself, just the pedal position.

You probably just need to change the master and/or slave cylinder and fill it up with fluid and the bleed the air out.

Last edited:

AcMatt

well it seems to be working ok now.. I blead the clutch and breakes and filld them back up and pumped the clutch a hole lot..it works good..BUT when it sits it looses a little pressure so i have to just pump the clutch a little before i go. I got a mechanic friend thats gonna install the clutch for me for 350 so thats good..also i have no master or slave cylinder leakes which is great news cus i barly have enough money to pay my firend lol..Thanks for all your guys help :D

AcMatt

yea thats what im guessing..it is fine now..still have to pump the clutch a little before i leave my house in the morning..but i got a nother problem..im gonna wait till it gets a bit lighter out and im gonna take a vid and post a new thread..lol