So what's the difference between a b18a1 and b18b1?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
I know the internals had differences but were the blocks and heads any different?

Could I buy aftermarket cams for a b18b1 for example and put them in a b18a1?

If I were going to do a turbo set up with all aftermarket internals, and rods, and studs, and aftermarket tb and intake mani and injectors, I mean the whole works, what would be better: b18a1 or b18b1?

Id rather stick with my b18a1 if there's no major differences

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
The only reason I ask is cause there is a limited amount of aftermarket stuff for b18a1s compared to b18b1s

j13

Keep It Clean
The B1 has a better flowing head. It breathes better.

j13

Keep It Clean
I just searched and I read the b18A intake valves are a little smaller than the B18B

Idk if its true

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I meant oil PAN. Cause I wanna possibly go with a dry sump :/ not really sure yet. And I was gonna buy a Moroso that already is tapped for the turbo oil feed
oh yeah thats what i meant im thinking oil pump cause i need one for my gsr LMAO!

for the head i would source a P8r Head off of a b20 because it has vtec sized combustion chambers and vtec sized intake valves and it flows better than the Non vtec equiped b series heads

mirrorimg

The combustion chamber on a P8R head is larger than a VTEC motor. It is 84mm wide like a b20 bore, and therefore has more area. It should push your compression down slightly. You can get it milled so the quench area is flat, but then if you ever have any warpage, you head is scrap metal. Also to note, the P8R only came on some imported motors that were previously in Honda Orthia's (google the car, never sold in the U.S.)

The valves are whats bigger than normal LS's (the intake valves are 33mm like VTEC valves). This means more flow.

I dont think there are ANY differences with the B18A1 head and B18B1 head EXCEPT for a SMALL change in one of the cams. The valves are the same. I used B18A1 valves in my B1 head when I found out some were bent.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
The combustion chamber on a P8R head is larger than a VTEC motor. It is 84mm wide like a b20 bore, and therefore has more area. It should push your compression down slightly. You can get it milled so the quench area is flat, but then if you ever have any warpage, you head is scrap metal. Also to note, the P8R only came on some imported motors that were previously in Honda Orthia's (google the car, never sold in the U.S.)

The valves are whats bigger than normal LS's (the intake valves are 33mm like VTEC valves). This means more flow.

I dont think there are ANY differences with the B18A1 head and B18B1 head EXCEPT for a SMALL change in one of the cams. The valves are the same. I used B18A1 valves in my B1 head when I found out some were bent.
Thanks guys! And dont some of the CRVs have b20s? or am I mistaken?