ummmm..

jponce

make it short.. didn't have heat when i bought the car.. radiator was low on coolant.. filled it back up.. heat worked for a couple of days.. and now it don't work again. air don't even get semi warm or anything.. anyone got any ideas???

BeatBox

Real Good!
rear this link, i googled it to see if it would be that and it DOES say something about the thermostat and heater

"If you're running your car's heater and notice that the air is slow to heat up or never heats up, this is another sign of thermostat failure"

its in "Performance Issues"
http://www.ehow.com/way_5382112_symptoms-bad-car-thermostat.html

im NOT saying thats the problem but it could be, last time i replaced one it was really cheap so...

hope that helps

jponce

rear this link, i googled it to see if it would be that and it DOES say something about the thermostat and heater

"If you're running your car's heater and notice that the air is slow to heat up or never heats up, this is another sign of thermostat failure"

its in "Performance Issues"
http://www.ehow.com/way_5382112_symptoms-bad-car-thermostat.html

im NOT saying thats the problem but it could be, last time i replaced one it was really cheap so...

hope that helps
got ya.. appreciate it. im going to look into it tomorrow. with winter here deff need to get this heat going.

mirrorimg

How the heat works, in a nutshell.

The heater core is filled with coolant, and as the coolant temperature rises, the heat from the airbox does as well. There is a valve that opens and closes the hose that allows coolant into the heater core (controlled by the hot/cold slider). With the slider on hot, the valve is open, cold means the valve is closed.

If the coolant is not full, it may not flow through the heater core (effectively an internal radiator to warm the air) properly to do its job. Also, the thermostat may not be functioning properly and the coolant may not be reaching operating temperature (mentioned above). If the coolant never reaches the proper temp (180*?F), then the air flowing through the heater core will never get very hot. And the third option as Paden mentioned, is that the cable may be disconnected or the valve may not be opening fully.

And yes, your title sucks balls. Try a little harder to create a more useful title so we dont feel like we are helping a retarded person who doesnt understand the purpose of a title (the definition in this case is a DESCRIPTIVE HEADING).

jponce

well.. i know its not the thermostat because i just changed it and it still doesnt blow warm.. i filled the radiator with coolant so thats ok. the cable that opens and closes the valve is broken so i open it manually under the hood. how can i check if the valve is malfunctioning?

and yes, i heard the first time about the title so repeating it is not gonna do much good.

Cman46290

I would have to take a shot in the ark here and say that you probebly need to get all of the air out of the cooling system.... start the car cold... and take off the radiator cap... let it run through a few cycles with the cap off... and fill it with coolant as the level continues to drop.... then top off the reservoir and see if that helps.

x3 on title of post.

-Hope that helps~