Do Not Buy From RockAuto.com

I ordered an ignition switch from RockAuto.com last night. It was on clearance for a great price, the page said that there was 1 left. So called their service center before purchasing it. I talked to their representative on the phone as I went through the order, he assured me that there was in fact one in stock for the close out price of $20.79.
Today I got an email saying that the item was out of stock, so I called them to see what could be done. They informed me again that the product was out of stock, but that they had equivalent products that would suit my needs. I was fine with that answer, until they informed me that they would not price match the other ignition switch. The other ignition switches were $38 and $42, as opposed to the $20 close out price of the one I bought. I informed the supervisor that I wouldn't have made a fuss about the price match had I not been on the phone with their representative, who assured me that they had the closeout priced switch in stock, the very moment I hit "submit order". He apologized but said he couldn't price match. I asked him if he could at least give me a few dollars off the cost of the higher priced switch so I felt a little less sour about the transaction. He informed me that he would not. I simply had him cancel the order at that point.
I'm usually not one to complain about this kind of stuff, but this just left a bad taste in my mouth. This whole scenario just screams classic "bait and switch". I'm stubborn enough to go somewhere else and pay 30% more for the product to get it from a company I feel is more honest and not trying to screw me over.
I highly recommend you all stay away from RockAuto.com and do not support their business.

mirrorimg

Sorry you had that trouble. Ive ordered a handful of items from that site and never had issues, but I always order on-line.

WAR 178

Premium User
im the same way....that just isnt good business. I had something like that happen when I was ordering my Jordans last year with Footlocker.... caused me to miss out on some of my favorite kicks @ the orig asking price! Never again....
So ima put rockauto on the iggy list.

Str8Boostin

Sleeper
First and only time I've ever heard anything bad about RockAuto.

I'm on a few other car forums and everyone loves them.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Sorry to here that! I just ordered a neutral safety switch from them online with no issues. By far best price I could find!

Rich-PMS

i've ordered from them dozens of times. typically get my stuff in 2-3 days with no problems.

typically with close out sales, there is no "rain checks" or price matching.

can't really blame them, unless the dude had a supper douchebag attitude

i've ordered from them dozens of times. typically get my stuff in 2-3 days with no problems.

typically with close out sales, there is no "rain checks" or price matching.

can't really blame them, unless the dude had a supper douchebag attitude
That was really what got to me. I have ordered from them a few times before and not had any issues. I didn't like how I felt like I was being blown off. He treated me as if I didn't matter because I wasn't placing a $1000 order.
I can't deny that their prices are good, I would just prefer to be treated with more dignity than I was treated with.

Rich-PMS

That was really what got to me. I have ordered from them a few times before and not had any issues. I didn't like how I felt like I was being blown off. He treated me as if I didn't matter because I wasn't placing a $1000 order.
I can't deny that their prices are good, I would just prefer to be treated with more dignity than I was treated with.
that's the difference in customer service with BIG companies vs small companies

Prozon

Kris
That really sucks man, like others have said I have ordered from them before and have had no issues with the service. Best prices I can track down and I never have an issue with it. I always order online too.

That really sucks man, like others have said I have ordered from them before and have had no issues with the service. Best prices I can track down and I never have an issue with it. I always order online too.
Up until I got treated like I did today I really liked their company. I can understand that they might not be able to price match it for me since I was buying a close out deal originally. I get that, I really do. What upset me was the disregard I was treated with when I called back and spoke to a SUPERVISOR, not just some random person who picked up the phone.
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to break down and get one at work.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
Up until I got treated like I did today I really liked their company. I can understand that they might not be able to price match it for me since I was buying a close out deal originally. I get that, I really do. What upset me was the disregard I was treated with when I called back and spoke to a SUPERVISOR, not just some random person who picked up the phone.
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to break down and get one at work.
they would be done in my book, getting parts is hands down the hardest part of my job. this one place sent me a wrong belt fo the GN, as im hanging up the phone i could hear him saying maybey it was routed wrong.................he's done.

RockAuto

RockAuto is my extended family’s auto parts business. Sorry to hear BrokenTalon27 (BT27) was disappointed by a closeout part that was sold out. The wholesale closeout parts are parts from other stores or wholesalers that are reducing their inventory for whatever reason. Maybe they are going out of business or maybe the cars those parts fit just aren’t on the road anymore in their area.

We pay a lot less for the closeout parts and we pass those savings on to the customer. They have exchanged hands too many times to still be covered by manufacturer warranties, but they can be returned within 30 days. Sometimes we have the same brand and part numbers in regular inventory, but we can’t afford to substitute regular inventory for closeouts.

It isn’t bait and switch. We just could not keep offering the closeouts if we had to substitute or exchange them with parts that cost us much more. We think of the closeouts and regular inventory as completely different products stored in different warehouses, even if they have the same manufacturer part numbers.

But communicating what closeouts are and how we must sell them is sometimes hard to do and I apologize if we unintentionally came across as arrogant or uncaring to BT27. DIYers spending much less than “$1000” are our bread and butter customers. It is also who my brother (RockAuto president) and I are. My brother still drives a ’77 Lincoln he paid $400 for back in the ‘80s. He once brought home a quarter panel for it on an airplane as checked luggage. Some manufacturer reps recently visited Wisconsin and my brother drove them to the airport in his ’78 Ford LTD. One rep liked the spacious old Ford, but he asked if my brother also had “a nice car.” We joke that he must have been referring to the even more luxurious Lincoln.

The newest car my wife and I own is a ’93 so all our cars are in the sweet spot for having lots of closeout parts available. I personally enjoy getting the closeouts for my own cars. Besides the low cost, it is sort of the thrill of the scavenger hunt and rescuing a part that desperately needs a home. Sometimes the manufacturer packaging is an old style, which makes it fun too. I can certainly understand BT27’s disappointment if a closeout part is sold out.

All the inventory information in the public RockAuto online catalog is the most up to date information available. Calling Customer Service to check on availability is not necessary. They would probably just look at the same catalog. When there are only one or a few of a closeout part available then we say something like “Only 1 remaining” in the catalog. That is our attempt to avoid disappointing customers if the parts are sold out before the catalog can be updated or if we discover parts were miscounted, etc.

Sometimes customers see “closeout” parts for their cars and worry RockAuto is going to stop selling parts for their car. That is not the case. Closeout parts have nothing to do with what we offer in regular inventory and sold-out closeout parts might even be offered again in the future if another batch of them is found sitting forlornly in some store or warehouse somewhere. Thank you for buying parts at RockAuto! Please email me using the Forum’s system if you have any questions or suggestions.

Tom Taylor

Prozon

Kris
Wow, i'm really really really really surprised that Rock Auto actually joined CI to tell Paden that. o_O