Ls turbo build

billysandoval

I have a 98 b18b1 engine. It's got 158k on it. My goal is to turbo the car and scream fast quickly. I had plans on doing a motor swap with a type r. But those are high compression engines. Would I be better off machining my la block and puttin all new internals in it to handle high boost or jut purchasing a new engine to start from there.

JDMJon

158,xxx Miles is a lot of miles to run a turbo. It really comes down to how much money you have, which in return would open the doors to different build ideas. If you have a pretty good amount of money an want a fast, reliable, fun car to drive I would recommend finding a gsr block and gsr head. If you could find the block and the head "Bare" with no internals they would probably be pretty cheap. Then I would build the motor from the pan to the head. New crank, Pistons, Rods, Full Valvetrain, Cams. It would cost you around the same amount to buy a beat up Type R B18c motor. By building a brand new and built motor will ensure reliability and stomp most cars on the road. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

billysandoval

Even if iget the ls block machined with new internals? Whats the difference between ls and gsr if thy have the same compression ratio. Ik the gsr has the dohc v tec but what else?

Prozon

Kris
What are your power goals? You can't just say "I want to be fast." because everyone has different idea's of what "fast" is. For me, 300hp isn't nearly enough. For you, that may be way more then enough.

As for the block, if you're building it from the ground up- go with what you have. No sense buying a GSR block just to rip it apart and replace everything inside of it.

Prozon

Kris
LS block
Stock crank
New main and rods bearings.
Manley rods
9.5:1 CP pistons
Stock LS head. Maybe P&P.
Stock fuel rail.
Stock FPR.
Walbro 255lph fuel pump. '
750-1000cc RC Injectors.
3" Exhaust
NGK BKR7E Spark Plugs
10w-30 Oil
Convert to OBD1. Get the ECU chipped and dyno tuned.
Competition Clutch

Now you just have to pick a quality turbo. :thumbs up

Last edited:

Peeples

LS block
Stock crank
New main and rods bearings.
Manley rods
9.5:1 CP pistons
Stock LS head. Maybe P&P.
Stock fuel rail.
Stock FPR.
Walbro 255lph fuel pump. '
750-1000cc RC Injectors.
3" Exhaust
NGK BKR7E Spark Plugs
10w-30 Oil
Convert to OBD1. Get the ECU chipped and dyno tuned.
Competition Clutch

Now you just have to pick a quality turbo. :thumbs up
Can I get a price estimate on that set up?

Sounds like a reliable build

Prozon

Kris
2500 to 3000 not including the turbo. Throw another 1000-1500 for that. This is the roughest of estimates though, it could cost 1000 more or 3000 more. Hell maybe even less. Assuming you do not pay a bunch fr machine work. I do my own or source to a friend.

Email mitch@qsrace.com to get the best prices on any parts. His username here is Thenoxus1.