Relay in the engine bay "clicking" while the car is off?

KiNGKAOS

So, I just started havin a new problem with my '91 GS. I went to the store a mile away. Radio worked all the lights worked etc... I turn my car off go into the store, come back out n go to start it. I get a "click" n no start, I try again n Vrooom starts right up but... My radio wont turn on but it's "lit up"!?! N I notice my climate control lights where the buttons light up were comin' on n off, if I tapped the buttons either they would stay on, go out, or 1 would go out n 1 would stay on etc..

I get home turn the car off n I notice my radio is still "lit up".. WTF!! I then disconnect my radio n take it out. The next day I get in my car go 2 start it n Vrooom starts right up 1st try :) I get 2 my GF's moms, I figured I would install my radio while I was there. After the install the car starts right up n the radio works:)

Everything is goin' good minus the climate control light issue.. As another day goes by I had the "no start click" happen 2 me like 3x out of 10x startin the car up!! I never got stranded after the "clicking" each time it started right up afterwards..

Now tonight I was bored so I went out 2 my car popped the hood just for sh!ts n giggles. As I'm lookin' things over I hear this "clicking" noise like a relay clickin'.. But it's not doin it "full time" only when it wants 2.. I locate the relay thats clickin' by holdin' it while it was clickin', n I could feel it clickin'. This is all happenin' with the car off!!!

IDK what the relay is for. Its located: if ur in front of the car lookin' at the engine bay, u look down just 2 the right of the radiator in between it n the radiator res. canister, about 8" down... I hope that helps anyone out 2 identify the relay!?!

IDK if this relay could be my cause for what happened that day with my radio!?! N with my climate control panel button lights doin there funky thing!?! N with my no start sometimes!?!

Thanx

KiNGKAOS

I know that thread was long hehe :) But I wanted ya'll 2 know what was goin' on n all.. :)

Last edited:

da9_vito

Hazardous Grounds
sounds like a fan relay is going out. its possible it could power other things. id replace it.