Dash Lights Went Out, Help!

StoobyMcDooby

Hey guys, like the title says, as i was taking a turn on my way home tonight, all my dash lights went out. The clock brightened back up as if i turned the headlights off...A/C-heat lights went out as well as everything else did.

NO FUSES ARE BLOWN, i checked. Could it be the dimmer switch?

I had a CB7 and one of the common problems with them is that the dash lights would stop functioning because the dimmer switch would go bad.

What else am I looking at? I don't think it's a bad ground or anything, but i'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Honestly, re-check the fuse it sounds like it's bad. I've never heard of the dimmer switch going bad on a teg.

when my cluster light fuse blew it did not effect the a/c lights. so idk. but check the fuses anyway and i would replace the fuse anyhow just to be sure. sometimes they dont look like theyre blown

StoobyMcDooby

well after getting home and being able to check everything again, the "INSTRUMENT PANEL/TAILLIGHT/BUMPERLIGHT " 10a fuse is blowing. I replaced it and it blew again.. So obviously i have a short somewhere.... I haven't done any work to the car ever... it's bone stock, and I've had it a year and it's never given me any problems.

I've heard of the steering column wearing thru wires and causing a short... I'll look tomorrow. Where should I check? There aren't any exposed wires or anything of that sort.. It's hard to use a volt meter and find out where it's grounding out because it keeps blowing the fuse immediately...

AwesomeSN

Does it blow the fuse before you turn the ignition switch on? Then looking at a schematic, the short is probably somewhere before the ignition switch. Should narrow it down a bit.

StoobyMcDooby

it blows when you turn the parking lights on. Instantly.

I'm going to take a look right now and see if i can find any exposed wires or anything like that... wish me luck....can't drive at night until it's fixed - no tail lamps or license plate lights....

cdkee

Hey man,

I just bought a teg and had this exact same issue. All good now.

Does your car have an aftermarket stereo? 95% sure that if you take it out, there will be a bundle going into the stereo which will have exposed wires. I was really worried about it, but once I took out the stereo and wrapped up the wires, it fixed the issue.

let us know what you find.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
it blows when you turn the parking lights on. Instantly.

I'm going to take a look right now and see if i can find any exposed wires or anything like that... wish me luck....can't drive at night until it's fixed - no tail lamps or license plate lights....
that switch could be bad

StoobyMcDooby

i'll check the radio wires and see what i find. Also, i don't think it's the switch because I got it to hold the fuse for like 30 mins yesterday before it blew again.. now it's back to blowing as soon as you turn the switch. BESIDES the radio, I've checked for any obvious ground issues/exposed wires, still nothing. I replaced all the bulbs in the back, and I'm about to replace the ones in front.

I hope i don't have to trace wires... no fun at all..

To the guy who had the exposed radio wires, what fuse was bowing on yours?

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
youre switch could still be bad even if you got it to stay on for 30 min. I suspect an open wire thou.

StoobyMcDooby

if they switch were bad, would it effect the headlight functionality ?

I'm leaning towards an exposed wire somewhere too....unfortunately.

The wires are straight as far as i can see in the trunk and engine bay.. so up next is looking under the interior... I hate having to take the dash out.

StoobyMcDooby

Hey man,

I just bought a teg and had this exact same issue. All good now.

Does your car have an aftermarket stereo? 95% sure that if you take it out, there will be a bundle going into the stereo which will have exposed wires. I was really worried about it, but once I took out the stereo and wrapped up the wires, it fixed the issue.

let us know what you find.
ZING! sure enough, my orange wire was exposed. I know car audio, and orange wires are responsible for dimming the radio lights when your parking lights come on. Since most aftermarket radios dont dim, the wire was never hooked up and left exposed. I popped a new fuse in and it fixed it. just to be sure, after replacing the fuse i touched the wire to the metal bracket under the dash and it blew the fuse again.

Good call my friend.

Thanks a million!

cdkee

ZING! sure enough, my orange wire was exposed. I know car audio, and orange wires are responsible for dimming the radio lights when your parking lights come on. Since most aftermarket radios dont dim, the wire was never hooked up and left exposed. I popped a new fuse in and it fixed it. just to be sure, after replacing the fuse i touched the wire to the metal bracket under the dash and it blew the fuse again.

Good call my friend.

Thanks a million!
No problem :) I was also really happy once I got it fixed, so I didn't have to come home before sunset :p