tech help !!! timing my motor

ITR-JDMVTECoso

I got gsr 99 engine spec : GSR HEAD p72 with stock cams , b18c1 block with JDM p73- 00 pistons , p72 type R rods , 87.2 type r crankshaft , ecu p72 gsr . i already done with all parts in my rebuild but The cars start but shaking very bad , i need help with timing my motor as soon possible will be super apreciated . :shock: , igot this code in my scaning , ECT CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT . I WAS THINKING MAYBE COULD BE THE TIME THE CAR WAS WITHOUT RUNING , LIKE THE GAS TANK HAD SOME WATER MIXED WITH MY TANK GAS AND CAR GOT MISS FIRE ???.

Last edited:

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
water in the tank?? get some fule injector cleaner and put it in the tank... evaporates the water.. cheap easy fix.. then you can tell if thats your problem or not... as for timing i humbly step aside for Google and those more experienced than I.

Prozon

Kris
Please take the time to spell out the words properly and put a little effort into punctuation. You will be more likely to recieve help if we can understand what you are trying to say.

First thing is first. Roll the engine over so that the timing marks line up on the crankshaft. Are the cams pointing to the correct timing marks? If your timing is on there, then check your firing order. Make sure that the spark plugs are on the cap correctly. You need to look up the firing order. I've seen people making the mistake of putting spark plug wires on with #1 on the cap going to cylinder #1, #2 going to #2, and so on.

If you had water in your gas tank, it's likely it wouldn't cause a misfire but most likely just wouldn't start on the water. If you suspect there to be a reason there would be water in your tank, pull the gas tank off the car and drain it. As for the engine code, i'm pretty sure the "ECT CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT" code pops up when the sensor is bad. Go buy a new one and let us know how it works. Oh and just so you know "ECT" stands for "Engine Coolant Temperature". I could be wrong on that part though.

You could run a search, or you could give us a little more information with a little bit better punctuation.

ITR-JDMVTECoso

Thanks i will do it in the morning i ley yall know if car get fix

water in the tank?? get some fule injector cleaner and put it in the tank... evaporates the water.. cheap easy fix.. then you can tell if thats your problem or not... as for timing i humbly step aside for Google and those more experienced than I.

ITR-JDMVTECoso

Ya mean knock sensor at block ?? About timing i will check early in the morning all timing i let ya know if the car get fix and really sorry for my spell im puerto rican and im not very good with my english !!! Thanks 4 the help veeeery apreciated .
please take the time to spell out the words properly and put a little effort into punctuation. You will be more likely to recieve help if we can understand what you are trying to say.

First thing is first. Roll the engine over so that the timing marks line up on the crankshaft. Are the cams pointing to the correct timing marks? If your timing is on there, then check your firing order. Make sure that the spark plugs are on the cap correctly. You need to look up the firing order. I've seen people making the mistake of putting spark plug wires on with #1 on the cap going to cylinder #1, #2 going to #2, and so on.

If you had water in your gas tank, it's likely it wouldn't cause a misfire but most likely just wouldn't start on the water. If you suspect there to be a reason there would be water in your tank, pull the gas tank off the car and drain it. As for the engine code, i'm pretty sure the "ect circuit high input" code pops up when the sensor is bad. Go buy a new one and let us know how it works. Oh and just so you know "ect" stands for "engine coolant temperature". I could be wrong on that part though.

You could run a search, or you could give us a little more information with a little bit better punctuation.

x3dimples

check you tdc. your tdc is on the crank shaft pully it has a mark taht should line up with a arrow. take your spark plugs out. cycl 1 and 4 should be up and 2 3 should be down. cams should line up and both cams arrows should say up. and they should line up next to each other when both arrows point up. if you did it wrong you can bend your valves and have to redo it all over again. if it idles rough the set your idle higher. at 800 or 900 rpm.
that should help

98sierra

make sure your on the RIGHT tdc on the compression stroke and not on the intake stroke.. might have it 180

ITR-JDMVTECoso

thanks to all 4 the help cars start today had like !!! 5 gallons of water at gas tank!!! i guess someone hate me or just could be the time was just without use. About ect code i get today the temp send and receiver sensor and the coolant temperature sensor and now not check engine light is off :) . But start the car and i go 4,000 rpm and release the rev start going up and down like go up like 3,000 rpm and go down like 1,000 and dont stay at 1,000 rpm like supose to be . i heard maybe the problem its throttle body or maybe a sensor at intake . what you guys think??:(

Prozon

Kris
Five gallons of water? Seems a little hard to believe. Somebody most have it out for you lol.

Run a search for surging idle. It could be a vacuum leak or IACV or FITV causing the idle to go up and down.

ITR-JDMVTECoso

Five gallons of water? Seems a little hard to believe. Somebody most have it out for you lol.

Run a search for surging idle. It could be a vacuum leak or IACV or FITV causing the idle to go up and down.

i got to check all vacuum hoses at intake right?? thet ya mean?? explain me what it is IACV and FITV :roll: