Engine swap questions, B18A vs. B18B

boobz

I am going to see if i can swap the motor in my 92 RS And i need some Recommendations,

checking out my options, i can swap in a ( Hopefully Younger ) B18A1 or the B18B1,

i was wondering if i could put the B18B1 in with out to much Extra Work, are the mounts and Etc the same ( obviously the ECU will be diffrent But would it wire up and everything The same as the Stock B18A1. )
or would the best bet to stick with the b18a1?

Also would JDM Vs USDM be and issue with this? i would probally get a JDM engine imported ( cheaper and less K's )

and would this be posable for $900 Canadian?

and last but not least, The Car is a 1992 integ RS with a a B18a1 that is burning oil like a whore, she has 260'000 KM's on it, So i think i can forgive her and just let her die alone in a scrap pile :p

Last edited:

Baldy201

If you plan on mounitng a B18b in a gen2 teg it is a direct fit. If you have your heart set on a swap for an A or B there is no diffrence between years, but the A has 10 less hp than the B. As for a JDM vs. USDM there really is no diffrence in hp or compression. The only problem is that everything is set up for a right-hand drive car. So you may have to do some wire splicing. 900 CAN may be a little low for a low mileage engine.

boobz

Well, Thats a relef... thanks for that,. :)

i know 900 isent to much for a engine swap, but thats all i have at the moment, and the only Reason i have it is because im sellin my old car, and my b18a1 is burning oil and swimming in it wile its at it.

if the only diffrence would be wiring then i think i can handel that as long as they are the same colors and ETC, the last thing i want to do is Sit there and try and figure out the pun patern :)

but what would it take to change it to the B18C2 block? ( 170hp vtec :) ) or should i just stick with the B18B1/A1

thanks guys!

Last edited:

Baldy201

To swap in a B18c all you need is the engine and ECU. But if you are going to do that you might as well the the trans along with it. mounts are the same. should come with wireing. Although it may sound easy it is going to be hard. and a lot of work.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
if you get a B18B engine, you can just use your stock IM/Dizzy/all the sensors/etc and you wont have to convert anything.

i would suggest using whatever healthy motor you can find and finding out what you have to do to make it fit.

all the B-Series motors use the same motor mounts, so you wont need to worry about that.

i just put a 94 B18B manifold on my 91 B18A block with a milled and 3 angle 93 B18A head with 94 B18B cams..... talk about a LS Hybrid. the vaccum and coolant lines took a lil bit of rerouting, but its pretty simple, let me know if you want to see the pictures of it, im sure it can help out other guys who would want to do this as well...

My Suggestion...
Get a full B18B. you wont have to swap anything out, and if you use your stock distributor, you wont have to do much wiring, the only thing i can think of is the Map sensor, since its on the TB.

Heres a picture of what i did with the Map sensor

the stock map sensor is on the firewall, and they use the same plugs, so i just added some wire to extend it to fit the B18B sensor and then wrapped it with some electrical tape, ill see how the tape holds up to the temps.

boobz

will it go in on the same ingene mounts as the b18a and what else would i need besides the mortor?

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
the motor will bolt right up. any b-series motor will.

if you get a vtec engine, youll need a VTEC ECU, add a wire for the VTEC itself..... not really sure on what else there is. i dont want VTEC, so i havent really researched it much

DownShift96GSR

For the B18C1 engine, you'll need the engine, P72 ECU, wiring harness, and the GSR tranny. Oh and you'll wanna make sure you get a good oil pump. Since you're gonna build your car, I'd go straight to a Type R oil pump. I'm not to positive if that's all you need you might need more you might not.