Fuel pump will not prime

track addict

Hey everyone,

I picked up a DA as a new daily almost six months ago and I couldn't be happier to own my second b17 powered integra

One day on my way to work the car just shut off (CEL came on) lost all power. It restarted moments later and then left me stranded a few yards afterwards. I have checked the main relay, fuel pump and ran through the main relay diagnostics. The pump will not prime.

CEL turns on and then off upon putting it in the ON position.

According to the factory diagnostics I need to check my ECU with a known good one, is anyone out there local (or close) that would lend me an ECU to verify this? I am in Orange County (Fullerton) and can pick up the ECU if that makes things easier.

I feel like I could be missing something somewhat simple, if anyone has any ideas that might help I would greatly appreciate them.

My car is;

1993 Acura Integra GSR (b17) with 212k

here is where I am at so far;

-new main relay

-new fuel pump

-new ICM (tried this first as I havfe had many fail before)

-checked the 10 amp fuse (fuel pump) and the 7.5 ECU fuse under the hood, both show battery voltage

-Check engine light and dash operate normally with key (I thought maybe the ignition switch be the culprit)

I am looking at the main capacitor in the ECU (thanks to a thread about something similar seen on this forum), but even that looks fine.

Thanks everyone for looking, please help me get my GSR on the road again.

Last edited:

track addict

How old are the Spark plugs / wires?
I honestly don't know off hand how old they are, but shouldn't the fuel pump still prime even if the spark plugs are out of spec?

I have cracked the pressure line on the filter and cranked with no fuel spilling out (as it should when the pump primes/turns on)

Thanks for the help though, somewhere I can look again

trelex03

i had this exact similar issue a few weeks back, in my case if the CEL stayed on when i turned key in ignition, it would NOT prime and start, but if the CEL went off, the car would prime right away and start up like nothing. had uncle who was a machanic check it, took him a while of fucking with it, we replaced almost everything you did.. Spark plugs / wires / ignition / computer / main relay / fuses / fuel pump n injectors, still would do the same.. after a while of messing with it he found out that it was bad WIRING (forgot which wires it was, id have to ask him again), but the wires were causing the problem, he replaced the wires and problem solved.. once i talk to him again ill ask what wires he replaced and let you know if your still having problem

Muckman

Not a M0derator
have you verified if you have power at the fuel pump when it will not prime? If there is power and no prime then bad fuel pump.
If no power with ignition to ON then its likely bad ignition switch or main relay. Since you seem confident that its not a bad relay then look at the switch.

bvans

DC5-ED9
Swap main relay for a known good one. New doesn't mean functioning!

Also check all fuses. Check fuel pump resistance

Thtkidjon

i had this exact similar issue a few weeks back, in my case if the CEL stayed on when i turned key in ignition, it would NOT prime and start, but if the CEL went off, the car would prime right away and start up like nothing. had uncle who was a machanic check it, took him a while of fucking with it, we replaced almost everything you did.. Spark plugs / wires / ignition / computer / main relay / fuses / fuel pump n injectors, still would do the same.. after a while of messing with it he found out that it was bad WIRING (forgot which wires it was, id have to ask him again), but the wires were causing the problem, he replaced the wires and problem solved.. once i talk to him again ill ask what wires he replaced and let you know if your still having problem
What wire was the one you replaced ? Im having same issue

TegraTiger

mysterious Wire short

I had a very similar issue with my entire electrical system. It was working fine, then after I changed the alternator (I pulled the brake master to pull out the alternator, then re-installed everything) the electrical system wouldn't work at all. I tried the key and no power from anything. I checked all fuses, connectors, grounds, everything you did - I did. And I still had no power coming into the dash/under dash fuse panel. I then accidentally bumped against the main wiring loom that connects to a large round connector located near the top left (driver's side) of the engine bay. And all of a sudden everything worked. Turns out one of the main wires had a short AT the connector, and that's what caused the entire loss of power.