Auto Transmission Fluid

PioneerLS

My car has about 150k miles on it, and it's auto.
Considering the people before me basically did no maintenance, im assuming the atf has never been changed. What type of maintenance should i do on my tranny fluid then? Flush? Or Drain?

PioneerLS

I can't drive manual because i have a disability, and it's a dd. chill guys... and thats what im asking, how do i know if i need to drain it or flush it or whatever?

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
haha, I'm sorry, I cant really say much because I've only started driving manual for a month now after driving autos for 3 years.

But... Isnt flush and drain the same thing? Just do them both to be on the safe side

DerekLS

Use the drain & fill method bro, i did a flush on my auto prelude and that killed the tranny

DerekLS

Drain & refill method is just that, you're removing the fluid then adding new fluid, flushing is done by a machine with pressure

Ganyon

All I do is drain and fill. I've done it twice within the 1,000 miles I've put on the car since I've had it. Trust me, the trans is starting to shift smoother.

Surferman

I did this:
Drain and Fill method.
Takes 9 quarts to do it.
Drain the tranny(only 3 quarts will come out but there is more stuck in other places)
Put 3 fresh quarts back in.
Take for qick ride, make sure you shift through all the gears( this will get it mixing)
drain 3 again- fill 3 again
take it around the block
drain last 3 quarts-fill last 3 quarts.
By this time you should pretty much have new fluid in it. I think this is the best way. Any other can chime in also...

I think its like near 200 bucks for honda dealer to do it, but if you do it yourself its less than 90..honda atf is around 7bucks. And its easyer than changing oil- just one tranny bolt.

DerekLS

^Jackpot, There's a drain bolt below with a socket extension fitting & you fill thru tha dip stick inlet