How To: Replace Fuel Filter

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
The Owners Manual states that you should change your Fuel Filter every 4 years or 60,000 miles, which ever comes first. I’ve had my car for a couple years now and have no idea if the filter has ever been changed. I changed mine and the fuel flows much more freely through the filter now. I know this because when I removed the old one, I tried to blow through it and I had to blow much harder for the air to come out the other end vs. the new one I just bought. There are 2 benefits I can think of right now from the new filter, one is that the fuel pump will have a longer life span now as it does not have to pump as hard to get the same amount of fuel pressure at the injectors and two, because the fuel reaches the injectors easier, you get a better spray pattern out of the injectors meaning better fuel economy and combustion. If you were considering using a Fuel System Cleaner, STP suggests that you use the cleaner after the new filter is installed. Now that you know why you should change it, here’s how!

Tools Needed:
10mm, 12mm, 17mm Sockets
14mm Wrench
Rags

Step 1:
Disconnect the negative side(-) cable from the battery

Step 2:
Wrap a rag around the 12mm pressure tap bolt and remove it. As you do, break it loose and then turn it out by hand. As you unscrew it, keep watch for any fuel that may be escaping. Mine did not have any gas come out but it could.

Step 3:
Now underneath the filter, there is a line fitting with a 14mm bolt head on it. This was VERY hard for me to remove as it had not been removed in a long time. Make sure to keep another wrench or ratchet on the top of the filter for better control and to not bend the cage the filter is secured in. When you unscrew this one, fuel will come out so have a rag underneath it.

Step 4:
Now remove the 17mm bolt on top. This one had fuel come out of it for me as well so have a rag ready and skewer it in like so.

Step 5:
Once you get both lines off, its time to remove the bracket from the car. There are three 10mm bolts that need to come out.

Step 6:
Once its off, there is one 10mm bolt on the inside of the bracket that holds the filter in place. Remove it and take the old filter out. Try to blow through it, be careful as there may be some gas inside the filter still. Compare it to the new one you just bought.

Step 7:
Make sure to replace these 3 washers. The top one that came with mine was not the right size and so I reused the old one, no leak.

Step 8:
Follow the steps in reverse for installation. There is only one way to put the filter on so make sure to do so correctly. There is a little flange that hooks into the bracket. The bottom line bolt was being bothersome as I was trying to have it catch the threads and screw back in, make sure to line up correctly. You will know this when it screws in most of the way by hand. DO NOT use a wrench until it is screwed in by hand or you could ruin the threads.

Once it’s all put back together, turn on the car and double check to make sure you are not leaking fuel anywhere. Now pat yourself on the back, your done! Good Job! :D
I don't get any money from this site but I would appreciate your donation! Donate
- Aaron

Last edited:

camopaint0707

Ok so I just replaced my filter. And all I can say it that 14mm bolt under the filter is one son of a bitch to get loose. Holy fuck.

phatintegra

Banned
Step 2 is always remove the fuel cap to release pressure before you start to remove the fuel bolts, fuel lines, etc.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Can you explain to me how removing the gas cap relieves the fuel pressure? It does mention it in the manual but the real fuel pressure relief is done at the fuel filter service port.

94gs-ARRR!

late to the party
quick question- in the picture under 'step 4' you can see this reddish plastic line/hose coming from the side of the fuel filter just to the right of your wrench. What exactly is that line? I'm assuming its some kind of overflow... mine appears to be broken at the plastic connector but I've been driving around not leaking fuel, no idea how long it's been broken.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I actually have no idea what is for, it doesn't go to anything from what I could see... If you find out, let me know.

94gs-ARRR!

late to the party
I actually have no idea what is for, it doesn't go to anything from what I could see... If you find out, let me know.
It's got to be an overflow or vent or something. Only reason I say that is that it looks just like the fuel overflow tube/hose on a motorcycle. I tried following it the other day without jacking the car up and all I can see is that it goes down the firewall and tucks up into the under body a within a few feet. Next time I can get underneath I'll check it out, either that or I could just check my Helms tonight.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
What does it do though? The vapors are supposed to stay in the tank and be drawn out when refueling at the gas station.

Last edited:

K3Ntegra

Thanks for the guide.

This fuel injector guide, suggests that after installing the new set of injectors, the car key should be turned at least 2 quick clicks, so the fuel pressure reaches 'normal level' at the injectors.

Unfortunately I forgot to do this when I installed the new fuel filter. The car struggled/refused to turn on for about 3 seconds, while I held the key down.

Does anyone know what damage, or life expectancy of certain components that I may have reduced, as a result of this mistake?