do i use an oil restrictor for my t3/t4 godspeed turbo?

andruroy

what up guys i was woundering if anyone out there can help me out with this stupid issue. i have a 94 acura integra ls special ediion with a b18c1 swap, iv put manly rods, cp 9.1 pistons, brian crower stage 2 turbo cams, springs and valves, 750cc rc injectors, 255 high flow fuel pump, and a bunch of other crap as for my turbo i ran short on funds so had to go with a cheap turbo kit from ebay. now ive blow two turbos and am on my third but this one is a godspeed turbo (still cheap but a tit beter) and i do not want to blow it!!! so i put an oil restrictor on the second (.035 restrictor) and it was fine for maybe 200 miles then started making clunking and scraping noises, so now im stuck not sure how to go about this 3rd turbo. my oil pressue gauge from the filter sandwitch is around 80-90 psi!! that is obviously too high but is the .035 restrictor too small or what? i dont no but if anyone can help please give me a holler. thanks andru

mjones73

Journal or ball bearing turbo? If it's a journal bearing, you want higher pressure so go up to a .60 restrictor or none at all if you weren't seeing oil being pushed past the seals in the turbo. Journal bearing turbos need higher pressure then ball bearing ones for them to operate properly.

andruroy

thanks just ordered the .065 restrictor and will put it in asap and let u guys no how it goes thanks again!!!!!!

Prozon

Kris
Take it to a turbo shop and have it balanced and checked out before you run it. Chances are it's out of balance coming out of the box. They tend to fail in a few months because (among other things) they aren't balanced.

speedin

The Transporter
Take it to a turbo shop and have it balanced and checked out before you run it. Chances are it's out of balance coming out of the box. They tend to fail in a few months because (among other things) they aren't balanced.
Buy 3 ebay turbos for $200 a pop, or buy a quality unit such as a precision for $500....hmm
These are the answers you need to look at. And im betting thats a journal bearing turbo. So dont run any restrictor.

speedin

The Transporter
I have a restrictor on my Journal Bearing 6262... I run a .065 from Go-Autoworks

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/oilinre.html
Did it specifically call for it? If so thats different. Most journal bearings can take the pressure. Most cars are around 90+ psi and the standard journal can take that no issues. If you take a look at the internals of a journal and understand its operational extremes it can take ALOT of abuse, contrary to popular belief.

Honestly on a 6262 I wouldnt run a restrictor, if I recall correctly PTE doesnt even call for one. BTW, if you did run one id go bigger than .065, more like .075 at least. Your not going to start to see oil blow by on .075, and the higher pressure is definitely a plus, Im sure .065 wont give you "problems" but .075 is better. :twocents:

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
Well I haven't had an issue at all out of my turbo, so I will stick with what's working lol.
Yea added more to my edit. Ive been hanging around with Borg Warner turbo engineers too much lately so im getting opinionated on turbos, lol