Is it usual for cam caps to eventually come loose?

rivman05

Afternoon,
I have a question which puzzles me at the moment. I have a 94 LS, 18b, 5 spd with 240K on the clock. Changed the valve cover gasket and plug well seals, which I had no idea why the seals were needed until I got the cover off. Anyways after that it got its oil dumped etc and one of the guys told me I have a couple intake cam caps that are loose. Im going to tighten them up here shortly but is it normal or usual for the cap studs to back out eventually? It was serviced by a dealership before I brought it up to Alaska 4 years ago, where they did the valve lash check, timing belt, water pump etc. Just curious is this is considered normal for these or if I need to throw some locktite on them before tightening them back up. Don't know much about these engines and the quarks that go with them so thanks for any helpful info.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
the metal pieces that hold in the cams should not be coming loose. Make sure they are torqued down correctly.

rivman05

the guy didnt know what hes talking about, it needs valve lash check, the cam caps are torqued properly and werent loose. Thanks, a bit irritated as getting the damn valve cover gasket back in place without some sort of adhesive is a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
the guy didnt know what hes talking about, it needs valve lash check, the cam caps are torqued properly and werent loose. Thanks, a bit irritated as getting the damn valve cover gasket back in place without some sort of adhesive is a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OEM gaskets tend to work better on an LS valve cover. But for some reason the LS gaskets dont like to stay in place vs the vtec covers.