How do I recharge my a/c?

bcartwright88

Bcartwright88 - what pressures did you see with your system cycling? I think my '97 might have a blockage as it doesn't get near as cool as it used to. I don't think it has a leak because the clutch still cycles. This weekend I'm going to put some gauges on it. I just don't know what is normal high side vs low
My high side was at 410 at first, which was wayyy to high, I replaced the dryer and took out the expansion valve, used compressed nitrogen to blow out debris from the system and replaced it. got it down to about 320 psi, low side should be around 35-50. they even out when you shut your compressor down. be sure to put a fan in front of your condenser. If you do have a clog take it in to have serviced. i spent 4 hours under my dash ripping shit out it was a huge sweaty pain in the ass. and i broke 34 bucks worth of ducting. Acura of Tulsa loves when i try to work on my teggy. lol.

Tman

Thanks 88. I tried yesterday to test mine but my AC gauge manifold is leaking, the on/off valve for vac/freon is shot. I wound up just adding a can of 134. Its blowing cold now so I must have a slow leak somewhere. I don't see any oil anywhere so I'm guessing it is the evaporator.
Is it possible to see the evaporator without removing it. - There is a box with clips holding it together which must house the evaporatore and heater core?

bcartwright88

Thanks 88. I tried yesterday to test mine but my AC gauge manifold is leaking, the on/off valve for vac/freon is shot. I wound up just adding a can of 134. Its blowing cold now so I must have a slow leak somewhere. I don't see any oil anywhere so I'm guessing it is the evaporator.
Is it possible to see the evaporator without removing it. - There is a box with clips holding it together which must house the evaporatore and heater core?
Yup. thats the box for the evaporate and heater core, You cant see it without taking it off, and its a big ol bitch to get back on bro. I ended up with a half full bag of parts when I took mine off to replace expansion valve. It ended up breaking coming out, so now its a gaint duct tape mess. each piece is 17 bucks at acura dealership. I highly doubt thats where your leak is at though, your condenser is prolly the enemy.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
start engine
run a/c on high
open hood
see that blue cap right behind the radiator? take that off, plug in the recharge kit, hold can upside-down, and depress the nozzle. while holding nozzle, tilt can back and fourth till empty. remove recharge kit and put the plug back on the car.
let the a/c run for 10-15 minutes and then shut off
throw can away, go inside, have a drink/take nap. and youre done.

jznsn2u

start engine
run a/c on high
open hood
see that blue cap right behind the radiator? take that off, plug in the recharge kit, hold can upside-down, and depress the nozzle. while holding nozzle, tilt can back and fourth till empty. remove recharge kit and put the plug back on the car.
dont forget to charge it into the low pressure line :thumbs up

db1love

not tryin to steal your thread but how do i charge my r12, i was at pep boys and they have a retrofit kit, but the dude said that you cant put r134 in a r12 system, soo then i was like wat the hell is this kit for then and he dont know, haha, any input?

bcartwright88

not tryin to steal your thread but how do i charge my r12, i was at pep boys and they have a retrofit kit, but the dude said that you cant put r134 in a r12 system, soo then i was like wat the hell is this kit for then and he dont know, haha, any input?
I got some r-12 for sale in parts for sale section. Ill let it go cheap man.

Papa_Dios

start engine
run a/c on high
open hood

I <3 You...... NO :pimp:...

SpeedGoddess

So we drove it about 1 month since adding the last can of freon. It worked well enough that if the blower was on high it was bearable. It has been 100+ everyday! Just this weekend took the plunge and pulled the evaporator. It was clogged with ?/&%. It wouldn't clean up because the stuff was packed into the fins so I purchased a new evaporator and expansion valve. The new evaporator was no were near the same quality as a the original one.
Tonight Dad and I put in a new reciever/dryer and pulled it down with one of those pneumatic vacuum generators. We added about 1 once of pag100 to the dryer and pulled vac on it for .5 hour. Filled it with what should of been 24oz of Advance Auto freon. Also bought a set of the cheap gauges from Advance.
It wasn't making much cold air. Low side pressure was 40 and high side about 215. I added another can (12oz) and high side is up to 250, but still not blowing as cold as I think it should.
I'm not sure what to think - maybe I'm not getting all the freon into it - shouldn't the high side be at least 275?
Also there was styrofoam liner around the original evaporator - it had melted I guess from previous try to clean core with spray in chemical - so we left out that part.
Any ideas on what to do next? - Thanks

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
He's full of shit. Open hood, make sure nobody's looking. Depress valve stem looking thing on low pressure side till it stops hissing. Don't use your fingers cause you'll fuckn freeze them solid. Once empty, recharge with r134...pat yourself on the back. I have done this on more vehicles... Don't forget the lube...

Strategist102

Banned
Hi

Should I evac my AC before recharging?

What should I do before I recharge my A/C other than check if the compressor is working?