Brake Light Stays On!

TLP_TEG

Yes I did a search and came up with no solution. Yes I work on cars a lot so I'm mechanically inclined. So here's the situation! :)

My cousin has a 94 LS and his brake light is always on. As in the lights on the outside of the vehicle including the spoiler and not the one on the gauge cluster. At first I thought it was a brake light switch (since teggy brake light switches tend to fail and it was cheap) No luck. Whats weird is when you hit the brake nothing happens because its the brake light on and not the running lights as if the headlights are on. When you turn the headlights on there is no change which is kind of dangerous for driving at night :shock: So tomorrow I'm thinking about replacing the brake light relay (i forget the correct name) and see if that works. All I'm asking is am I going the right route? I just done see what else could be causing the lights to always stay on unless there's some faulty wiring somewhere or the ECU is acting up. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! :lol:

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
i d say you are going in the right direction. there is no reason the brake lights should come on unless the switch is being hit. thats weird.

TLP_TEG

i d say you are going in the right direction. there is no reason the brake lights should come on unless the switch is being hit. thats weird.
exactly! i have yet to figure it out. will keep you guys posted though. hopefully replacing the relay fixes it all

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
are they only on when the car is getting power though?

seahtech

are they only on when the car is getting power though?
This is a good question! If its not the switch then yes chances are good its the relay. If they are on ALL the time the relay may still be getting stuck. If they relay doesnt fix it then somehow your lights are being backfed by something with a constant power supply

Omarlito21

Did he replace any tail/brakelights recently...I had a taillight on my 94 that was out when i bought the car and when i replaced it it blew a fuse and when i replaced the fuse and tried it again all the brake lights stayed on. I thought it was just the bulb i bought was messed up it was an led bulb anyway i took the bulb out and everything was back to normal and i havent put a new bulb in since that day mainly cause im lazy but missing one brake light is better than having them all on.

92_JDM

I am having the same trouble with my girlfriend Teggy, here are some picture that i had taken:

The brake pedal was not pressed and yet the light is still on, i thought about the relay but did not know which relay should i get. right now, the only way to turn it off is to unplug the battery or it will drain it overnight.

TLP_TEG

I am having the same trouble with my girlfriend Teggy, here are some picture that i had taken:

The brake pedal was not pressed and yet the light is still on, i thought about the relay but did not know which relay should i get. right now, the only way to turn it off is to unplug the battery or it will drain it overnight.
^^ Exactly. Even when the car is off and not getting power it does it.

Did the little rubber plug that hits the brake light switch plunger fall to pieces? This has happened to two of my Integras.
OP, check the wiring going to the brake switch.

Could both of you post pics of the area under the dash at the brake switch. It would make it a lot easier to diagnose your issues if I could see it.

TLP_TEG

relay did the trick :) it was an original Honda relay from 94 lol. so if anyone else has had this prob, a bad relay could be the culprit

built_ls

old thread....
anyway i had the same problem. turned out i needed more brake fluid in my brake master.