flywheel-stock vs light weight

92DB2

ive heard a hundred storys here and im guessing it down to prefference but wanted to try one more site..my question is whats better on a bossted/nitrous car a light weight flywheel or stock??

i heard stock for boosted so it can some what make the motor work and for spray you want light weight...any input from actual users?

light weight is better in ANY situation...

anytime u can lighten the rotating mass that will help u put more useable horsepower to the ground.

I have heard people say that with them u decel to fast, or its hard to drive..

I have NEVER seen any car with one decel to fast. As for being hard to drive.. those who whimper prolly need to do more driving with a m/t. its simple to drive.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

anytime u can lighten the rotating mass that will help u put more useable horsepower to the ground.

I have NEVER seen any car with one decel to fast. As for being hard to drive.. those who whimper prolly need to do more driving with a m/t. its simple to drive.
wouldnt the lighter weight mean it wont have the mass to keep the centrifugal force?

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted

Have you driven a stock honda with a 9 pound flywheel? its fucking stupid, especially when honda 4bangers have sooooo much torque, for daily driving is pointless,

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Since I hate the flywheel myth: For the record, a lightweight flywheel does not reduce torque.

I prefer a lighter flywheel. It gives you better throttle response, the engine revs and decelerates quicker and it reduces rotational inertia which will show as a power increase.

The side of which most people complain about is that the clutch is quicker to engage and requires a little more slip. Many percieve this as reduces torque and it is absolutely wrong. It is reduced rotational inertia. Lighter flywheels also make for easier heel-toe braking and rev-matching.

For the purposes of daily driving and track, I prefer the response of a lightweight flywheel over the dumbed down response of a heavy one.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
I sure have.. and I put lightweight flywheels in everything I build.
Well i dont like them especially going uphill little honda motors need the added inercia to keep the engine speed constant during especially under load while going uphill, I actually drove a civic before and after the flywheel install in the same uphill road, whit the flywheel the car would actually drop the engine speed while giving it more gas, with the stock one no prob,

No it does not reduce torque, but needs a torquey engne to compesate for the loss of inercia

codeman_11901

see, i have a 92 integra gs and i put a fidanza 9.5lb flywheel in it. the car accelerates faster, and as for all this stupid crap people are saying about torque and stuff, if the car is slowing down up a hill upshift that shit. my car accelerates fine in every gear going up any hill around my house. they are four-cylinders people, not torque monsters.

Well i dont like them especially going uphill little honda motors need the added inercia to keep the engine speed constant during especially under load while going uphill, I actually drove a civic before and after the flywheel install in the same uphill road, whit the flywheel the car would actually drop the engine speed while giving it more gas, with the stock one no prob,

No it does not reduce torque, but needs a torquey engne to compesate for the loss of inercia
Drop a gear... I think u were to high in the rpm band in general.. and I think the claim is false.. I have NEVER EVER had or seen this problem..

see, i have a 92 integra gs and i put a fidanza 9.5lb flywheel in it. the car accelerates faster, and as for all this stupid crap people are saying about torque and stuff, if the car is slowing down up a hill upshift that shit. my car accelerates fine in every gear going up any hill around my house. they are four-cylinders people, not torque monsters.
I agree i also just installed a 9.5 lb flywheel on my 95 db7 and amazingly enough the place i noticed it the most was if you punch it at about 2500 to 3500 rpm's the car has a lot more of it's torque at your disposal. I haven't taken it to redline yet cause i'm still breaking it in but i have noticed a difference since installing it. The car also shuts down like immediately when you turn the car off not like that is a big deal tho. I love mine and i'm sure you will love yours :)

codeman_11901

pretty much, cars are faster with less weight to get turnin before the power gets to the ground. anyone that prefers a heavy flywheel should probably never give any advice on it on this site. telling someone to get a heavier flywheel is like telling them to throw their money away. it does lower ease of driving but if you want the speed then get over it :)

codeman_11901

i like how people are talking about the added inertia of the heavier flywheels for hills. what about after that inertia isn't helping and the motor is bogging? now you have the hill and the heavy ass flywheel to turn. that makes no sense.

eg6ie

for boosted, keep it stock. for na, lighter is better. on boosted you will drop out of boost between shifts and it feels like shit during normal driving. during normal spirited driving, it will be very jerky. maybe for a race only car. not for a dd.