Need a CA CARB legal intake, exhaust, and possibly headers? Recommendations?

Christoff

In California and it's smog time. I've had my 1994 integra GSR for 2 years now. No mods but an intake. Installed a generic ebay CAI with one of those AEM dry flow intakes. Removing the stock intake box was a huge pain in the ass and I couldn't imagine the pain with reinstalling it. I'm contemplating just getting a non-CAI and just swapping it out around smog time. Or getting a proper carb legal CAI and calling it a day. When I first got it smogged the guy mentioned I barely passed and it's just because it's old. Seemed silly. I've since replaced the cap/rotor, plugs, plug wires, etc. Not sure if I just need a new cat.

I'd also like an exhaust for the performance/MPG benefits. Not looking for much else than that. Needs to be carb legal and keep the cat (obviously)

Also, are headers ever CA carb legal?

I'd like to spend as least as possible but I'm willing to pay for quality.

Thanks a lot!

Christoff

Thanks for the help guys. Also, my car is test only this time around. Does that mean it's an annual thing or still every 2 years?

Ganyon

Get a aem short ram and just add the bottom half of your cai. Boom cheap carb legal cai.

djv1986

In California and it's smog time. I've had my 1994 integra GSR for 2 years now. No mods but an intake. Installed a generic ebay CAI with one of those AEM dry flow intakes. Removing the stock intake box was a huge pain in the ass and I couldn't imagine the pain with reinstalling it. I'm contemplating just getting a non-CAI and just swapping it out around smog time. Or getting a proper carb legal CAI and calling it a day. When I first got it smogged the guy mentioned I barely passed and it's just because it's old. Seemed silly. I've since replaced the cap/rotor, plugs, plug wires, etc. Not sure if I just need a new cat.

I'd also like an exhaust for the performance/MPG benefits. Not looking for much else than that. Needs to be carb legal and keep the cat (obviously)

Also, are headers ever CA carb legal?

I'd like to spend as least as possible but I'm willing to pay for quality.

Thanks a lot!
where in cali are you ? i have one from a b18b ill prob sell

Christoff

Get a aem short ram and just add the bottom half of your cai. Boom cheap carb legal cai.
I'd only be worried about proper fitment. Not sure where the AEM short ram cuts off.

where in cali are you ? i have one from a b18b ill prob sell
Central Valley right now but I'm in southern California once or twice a month. One what, by the way?

djv1986

I'd only be worried about proper fitment. Not sure where the AEM short ram cuts off.

Central Valley right now but I'm in southern California once or twice a month. One what, by the way?
a dc sports 4-1 header.. I'm doing a gsr swap and buying a new 4-2-1 dc for my gsr. it has a few small dings under the car but i have a carb sticker for it and everything. i live in central coast since u in cali i figured u may come pick it up if u want it. I'm thinking maybe 150$ it is used but new they are about 300$

Christoff

It's a bit of a drive but I'll see.

So as far as cat-back exhaust what are the best options? Not looking for a fart can. Just performance.

Also, I read somewhere not to get the ceramic DC sports headers? Just the polished stainless steel ones, I guess?

It's looking like magna flow high flow cat, Apexi WS2, AEM CAI, and DC Sports headers are what I'll be getting. Any other tasteful mods I'm missing for MPG and HP gain?

Last edited:

DC4GoFast

i have a car problem
Modifications will never, ever yield better mpgs, thats just a marketing gimmick. Do some research, search exhaust here and on honda-tech, your going to come across a million different opinions, only one that matters is yours, listen to different ones and see what you like

Christoff

While I'd agree modifications in general but I'd assume mods that allow less restrictive airflow would boost MPG? Maybe not drastically or even noticeably but still...

Christoff

Will it fit the 94 GSR? I know the exhaust sizes change between the mid-90s to 2000(s?) gsrs? I think? Is it the ceramic finish or metallic?

I'm in the Central Valley right now but am in Southern California once or twice a month. Good condition, etc etc?