Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

I had recently bought a 2 bend SRI from eBay and installed it to make my Icebox Style intake.

I decided that chrome was a no-go, and decided to paint it. I had planned on painting it flat black, but the can didnt have enough in it. Gave it a rough paint job, nothing perfect, to let it look a bit more stock-ish.

Heres a little shot of the 4" snorkel. Didnt have any working shots, but you can get a gist of whats going on, or can atleast find the original DIY thread when I got the specs from.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
shit looks CORRECT, Jason.

I used that compression calculator, I believe I'll be going with an oversized JDM ITR piston. Running specs on the pistons I was considering, I don't think I like my compression above 14:1...

If I ran an 82mm P73 piston, with a 2 layer head gasket, It'll have me right around 12.7:1 compression. Which is just a TAD higher than I was aiming for. I'll be using a PR3-3 head, though. those numbers are with no milling/decking. Which, in reality, will likely happen. Nothing MAJOR, just cleaning up the surfaces.

Shit's looking great, man. Can't wait to see this car again. Hopefully, we'll both have our swaps up and running...

BTW, I demand sound clips of that intake system. Drive-by's etc.

mirrorimg

shit looks CORRECT, Jason.

I used that compression calculator, I believe I'll be going with an oversized JDM ITR piston. Running specs on the pistons I was considering, I don't think I like my compression above 14:1...

If I ran an 82mm P73 piston, with a 2 layer head gasket, It'll have me right around 12.7:1 compression. Which is just a TAD higher than I was aiming for. I'll be using a PR3-3 head, though. those numbers are with no milling/decking. Which, in reality, will likely happen. Nothing MAJOR, just cleaning up the surfaces.

Shit's looking great, man. Can't wait to see this car again. Hopefully, we'll both have our swaps up and running...

BTW, I demand sound clips of that intake system. Drive-by's etc.
Yea, I dont know the optimal compression ratio for the cams to make power, but I certainly didnt want to exceed 12:1. I could probably make a couple changes to get it closer to that.

It shouldnt be long for me to have things done. Ill let a couple paychecks roll in to save up for the tune, but I should have all my parts by end of next week :)

I dont have areas to do a drive by (WOT) like some people with wide open roads, but I can probably manage to do a driveway rev. Im sure it would sound a lot better in person, but I can probably get the camera inside on the way to work and open it up on the highway. I'll see what I can do.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
Make it happen, son. I'm counting on you.

I think the 403's are good in the 11.5:1-12:1 range. So, you're in pretty good shape. A bit higher, probably wouldn't hurt. Much higher than that, and I'd be concerned, heavily, about piston to valve clearances at upper rpm.

j13

Keep It Clean
So what's the deal with making it look stock? Do you have to have go thru an inspection? Or you just like the original look?

You should have gone with a CAI with that same icebox system on the bottom, out of site :)

mirrorimg

I don't like the SRI sitting in the engine bay, the appearance of it. I think it looks much better tucked in the box, and helps with performance too. CAI would move the filter to the fender, and that would be a pain in the ass to clean. This is the best of both worlds. And I can pull the top off in bad weather when I have to go through some large puddles, to prevent sucking up water. :)

A CAI is effectively a SRI with an extension pipe. Mine has the beginning of it, then plants the filter in the middle. It also let me do what I love to do, tinker and modify things.

j13

Keep It Clean
So what's wrong with having a SRI for the winter and a CAI for the dry seasons?? All you'll need to do is take off the other half of the piping ;)

I see your idea good for something permanent.

I like your idea but the SRI sounds so sweet. So I like switching between the 2

MattLaBonte

I have an SRI, and haven;t decided yet whether to go DIY ice box or just add piping for a cold air intake. Looks like when I up grade I'll be going the DIY Ice Box route. Looking good man

mirrorimg

Figured I would put a pic up of my dirty teg. She hasnt had a bath in about a month.

A little update as well. I got a refund on my other cam gears because the seller had some issues getting them to me. I went ahead and ordered some Blox gears, and they are already in the mail. My odds and ends are on the way from Delray Acura (some gaskets, studs), and I am waiting on a tracking number on by headgasket.

Pretty soon I will be ready to bolt the new head on and get tuned. I will replace my header before that though.