Valve Adjustment...

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
I've read a ton of threads stating all sorts of "clicking" or "ticking" noises and the culprit being; needs valve adjusting. Okay, mine has done that since I got it, so how exactly are you supposed to "adjust" the valves? Is there a tool you use and then you just rip the valve cover off, valvetrain and then use some tool to do whatever to the valves or what? :???:

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
The Integra. Sorry. I'm pretty sure that the Jetta wouldn't get tech questions from Honda people lol....

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
You will need feeler gauges to properly gap them

Take off the valve cover
Remove spark plugs
Set cylinder #1 to TDC

The start on cylinder #1 lifters and cam lobes. For the intake cam, slide the .003" feeler gauge between the cam lobe and the lifter. It should be about .003" gap but not more than .005" Basically the .003" feeler should fit and the .005" shouldn't. If any of 4 them are off any either direction, loosen the jam nut and tighten the adjuster screw until you are in the sweet spot between .003" and .005". The exhaust cam is the same way, except the lash should be .006"-.008". Once you are done adjusting them, tighten the jam nuts back down and make sure to recheck the gaps. They can turn slightly when tightening the jam nut and throw off the lash setting. If they are all in the sweet spot, then move onto cylinder #2.

Adjust #2 to TDC and repeat the process. Then the same for #3 and #4. Each cylinder must be done set and the valve lash gapped indepently at TDC

Keep in mind that those specs are for a B18B1, which I'm assuming you have. B18A1 and B18C's are different

Last edited:

DeAcevedo45

Second Glance
NOTE: You should ONLY adjust the valves with the engine cold.

But yeah the whole procedure is pretty simple. After setting Cyl. 1 to TDC, the turning of the crank 180 will take you to 3,4, then 2.

mattclark08

UTI-NTI Alumni
needs to be tdc on the compression stroke, b18a1's are .003'' - .005'' intake and .006'' - .008'' exhaust too.