How To: Keep Your Battery Healthy

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
If you are reading this, chances are you didn't know that you could open up your battery and perform maintenance on it. I'm going to show you how to fill your battery with water so that it can function properly for years to come. According to the International Battery Council, you should check the water level of your battery at least once a year. Batteries get hot during use and so they can lose some water through evaporation. The check can only be performed on batteries that have caps which are removable, do not force a cap off as you may have a "Maintenance Free" battery.

*Note - Do not use TAP water, use distilled/purified water to ensure you are not introducing new chemicals to the battery which could react with the electrolyte solution.

Lets get started!

Tools Needed:
Ratchet With 10mm Socket
Small Flat-Head Screwdriver
Flashlight
Rag and Distilled Water (Not Shown)

Step 1:
Remove battery tie down.

Step 2:
Pop cap off of the battery by using leverage from the other cap.

Step 3:
The water level inside should be a little above the black casing that goes into the hole. As you can see, this one is a little low.

Step 4:
Clean around the holes to ensure no dirt gets into the battery. Pour water in slowly until it reaches just a little above the black casing, it will most likely only need a couple ounces.

Step 5:
Once you have verified that the water level is about the same in the three ports, push the cap back on, you will feel it click once it is secured.

Step 6:
Now go ahead and use the leverage from that cap to check the other three ports on the battery.

As you see, it isn't very difficult to perform this maintenance on your battery. My last battery lasted at least 5 years and that was with it completely draining on me a few times. Don't overfill the batteries as they may leak from the caps. And you're done! :D

I don't get any money from this site but I would appreciate your donation! Donate

- Aaron

Last edited:

treeafodo

Austin
I'm kind of unsure what you mean when you say the water should be just a little over the casting.

According to my teacher when you top a battery up the water is only supposed to cover the cells, no higher. Good write up though. Simple maintenance is the best :thumbs up

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
In steps 3 and 4, I tried to show the plastic that goes into the cell. From what I have learned the water should cover the cells at a bare minimum but the optimal level or max, should be at the plastic.