Many months ago I started searching for my old DB1 (story)

DarkDB1

In late 2005 (I was about 16) I came across a Craigslist add for a 1990 Acura Integra GS Sedan 5 speed, They were asking $3500 or trade for a Automatic 4cylinder of equal, greater value if not add cash on top.

I at the time had a 1991 Acura Integra GS Sedan Automatic... Looking at the pictures, It was mines twin... Both were black with black leather but the Automatic had 10K less miles. I wanted a 5 speed so I went to look at it bringing a friend who knew how to drive a manual.

It was perfect, The guy liked the Automatic since I had added 2 12" subwoofers, Remote starter alarm and had it lowered on cheap coilovers (the guy was by far not a car enthusiast, and was actually a little sketchy)... So the next day, We traded... But he didn't have the pink slip, So several hours in the DMV the pink slip was in the mail, But a catch... She needs smog. I took it in, It failed... Badly. Took it to my dads friends shop and said get it to pass. A grand+ later it comes out smogged with a ;)

A week later I had the windows tinted...

It was my steed through high school, I did some cheap modifications like tinted windows, Ebay coilovers, Ebay farbonfiber steering wheel, Ebay quick release, Ebay intake, Cheap Sony head unit and cheap 2 way alarm... The only good mods I did was the JDM 1 piece headlights (made a friend in japan so I got them at cost) and the wheels (had a set of Si's and Blades).

She had a few issues, The alternator was going out one day on my way back from school but I got it home... Another time clear across town I started from a stop light and it started to grind (the clutch was going out), So I babied it home... And finally clunk, The shifter wouldn't go into gear just as I rolled up to my house.

It became a trend, She didn't die much but when she did she always got me home except once when I had a tire blow out... It got me through high school, I took it to many meets throughout the bay area, I made many friends and few of which are no longer here with us... I had it through my 2 biggest heart aches and taught several friends to drive a stick in it... It had many memories.

At one point at a meet a young guy came up to me and recognized the car, Told me it used to be heavely modified... The guy that had it originally works at a shop in Hayward and was named Roger. So a week later me and a friend went to see this Roger fellow... I learned he bought it new, It was originally an automatic that he converted to a manual in 1993... It has a GSR YS1 transmission, Thicker front sway bar and is wired to run a bunch of speakers (center dash, below ash tray [It already had 8 speakers still in it]) and some kind of exhaust (HKS tips)... It used to have ITB's and various other things done to it to run high 14s in the mid 1990s... He had it until 1998 when he took ownership if a new at the time Integra Type R (that he still had). He sold it to a older guy in Oakland who kept it in good shape... Where he had it until 2003 which then sold to the guy I got it from.

In 2007 I tried to sell it to buy a DB2 GSR I found... I had a guy come and look at it, Test drove it and made a reasonable offer... But the thought of selling it was for some reason really hard for me... So I ended up keeping up and instead tried selling my Porsche 944 to no luck...

In 2007, When I got a good city job and started making about $22 an hour (full time)... I bought a 2003 TL Type-S and didn't do anything to it... While the DB1 got an upgraded Exedy stage 2 clutch (old no name one from before burned out in traffic [but again died as soon as I got it home]) with fidanza 7.5LB flywheel, H&R race springs, Tokico Illumina shocks, Suspension techniques rear sway bar, 2 Rockford fosgate 12" subs, AEM intake, Brembo rotors and green stuff pads, Mugen MR5 wheels, Ebaydm headlights that went back to a cleaner set of JDM 1 pieces later on, JDM Window visors, Fluidyne radiator with samco hoses, NRG short hub, NRG quick release, Momo tuner steering wheel...

(also had enkei wheels)

After some bad financial moves, and being laid off... The TL was dying (brakes, tires, transmission) and the Integra became my only drivable car. I was worried it would get stolen every where I went and I learned that the smogs I did to it, Weren't legal and my smog connection went out of business... So I hinted I was contemplating on selling it. A friend blew up my phone wanting to buy it, I trusted my friend... So I sold it to him in 2009 and bought myself a BMW 540I

The DB1 looked like this

A week later my friend calls to tell me it died on the freeway (never happened to me)... Then 3 weeks later calls to tell me it was stolen from his work, A few days later it was found in San Jose.

My friend rebuilt it with junkyard parts and sold it...

In 2011 I found it for sale on honda tech from the guy my friend sold it to.

About 6 months ago, I started missing her... I always said I loved my Integra, And didn't really care for any other Integra because of sentimentality. I wanted it back, So I started searching craigslist, forums and a few weeks ago put out a post on G2IC and Hondatech looking for it (on the DB1 threads)... I began having dreams as I slept of buying it back. I had every intention of just putting it in the garage and slowly rebuilding it as I knew it would be in rough shape...

Yesterday, I figured I should just google the vin number and see what comes up as it has been over 6 months since I last did it... I found a bunch of salvage auction links. Hoping for only a minor fender bender because it doesn't take much to salvage these things... My jaw drop and heart skipped when I saw the pictures as at the same time my dreams of buying my lost beloved vanished...

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/24858083/COPART_1990_ACURA_INTEGRA_GS_SALVAGE_CERTIFICATE_FRESNO_CA/

I'm quite devastated... If you really really love your Integra, Keep it. Most likely it's not worth much and if you have sentimentality it's worth more than you can get for it... If it comes to it, Just store it away...:cry:

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
Wow... Damn such a nice car :(

I may have cried a bit...

I have pictures of my car from 2 owners before me and the guy who had it before me utterly destroyed what was a mint gsr in under 2 years :/

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
Very touching story man. I'm very sorry for your loss :(

Now I'm definatley keeping mine. I love it too much to let it go.

DarkDB1

It's quite a shame... When you build your car it is only appreciated by you. Not the person who buys it... To them it's just a car, To us it's a car we've spent days and nights tinkering with it, waxing it, laughing and crying over it. It's more than a car... It's an extension of ourselves.

I found my old BMW 540I at pick n pull too, But I didn't feel bad about seeing it torn apart as I do seeing my old Integra in this state...

I've had several cars, I currently still have a 2007 Tacoma X-Runner and a 2007 Impala LS... Those don't feel the same as the Integra did. They have no soul, Once you turn the key it feels like an appliance and that is what it is. I think I need another older car with soul, A little wear and tear or something...

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
It's quite a shame... When you build your car it is only appreciated by you. Not the person who buys it... To them it's just a car, To us it's a car we've spent days and nights tinkering with it, waxing it, laughing and crying over it. It's more than a car... It's an extension of ourselves.
I couldn't agree more. May I put this on my sig?

OneFastGSR

If I could find my first integra i'm not sure if I want to see it. After I got rid of it, I seen it on craigslist a year later (I tried to buy it back but didn't) I had a japanese Rando Sports front bumper (Worth alot) and the new owner didn't like it cause the lip on the bottom (Part of bumper) was to big and he literally cut the damn bumper, It had 98 spec JDM ITR wheels, He sprayed painted them black because he didn't like the championship white. It had all OEM optionals and the new owner removed them?? How can someone take a car and take it from good to bad so fast.?

DarkDB1

I couldn't agree more. May I put this on my sig?
Indeed you can

If I could find my first integra i'm not sure if I want to see it. After I got rid of it, I seen it on craigslist a year later (I tried to buy it back but didn't) I had a japanese Rando Sports front bumper (Worth alot) and the new owner didn't like it cause the lip on the bottom (Part of bumper) was to big and he literally cut the damn bumper, It had 98 spec JDM ITR wheels, He sprayed painted them black because he didn't like the championship white. It had all OEM optionals and the new owner removed them?? How can someone take a car and take it from good to bad so fast.?
Some people are unaware of what they have and have horrible/ghetto taste :x

94RS

No fucks given.
:cry:

What happened to this car is exactly what I fear will happen to mine if I were to ever get rid of it... Definitely keeping mine and babying the hell out of it after everything it sorted out.

bacura

Thanks for sharing your story. I feel like I was with you every step of the way. It's awesome that you were able to trace down the history of the car to its original owner.

Btw - that pic you posted of the TL and Teg really touches my heart. Those are my two favorite cars, but it's so nice (and a bit surprising) to hear that the Teg (though older) was more reliable and stronger than the TL.

I have a teg right now, but don't have the money or the knowledge to get it back to norm. I've been hanging on to it even though I haven't driven it in a while. It's just taken me a long time to accept that I have to sell it, but I need to sell it soon. Sigh. It may not be a looker but I have confidence that someone who knows how to work on cars can breathe new life into it again.

Everytime I see a g2 on the road, it makes me wish I was behind the wheel of mine, cruising down the sunny streets of CA.

DarkDB1

Thanks for sharing your story. I feel like I was with you every step of the way. It's awesome that you were able to trace down the history of the car to its original owner.

Btw - that pic you posted of the TL and Teg really touches my heart. Those are my two favorite cars, but it's so nice (and a bit surprising) to hear that the Teg (though older) was more reliable and stronger than the TL.

I have a teg right now, but don't have the money or the knowledge to get it back to norm. I've been hanging on to it even though I haven't driven it in a while. It's just taken me a long time to accept that I have to sell it, but I need to sell it soon. Sigh. It may not be a looker but I have confidence that someone who knows how to work on cars can breathe new life into it again.

Everytime I see a g2 on the road, it makes me wish I was behind the wheel of mine, cruising down the sunny streets of CA.
The TL-S was reliable if not for the very very common problem with the transmission, They were practically made out of glass and everyone told me that it was only a matter of time before the transmission went out. The brakes and tires were just normal wear but I was broke after being laid off so I couldn't repair it...

The TL was a phenominal car. It was comfortable, smooth without being soft, great steering feedback, Plenty powerful (shit ton of torque steer though) and well equipped. My only major complaint was that there is no way to get Ipod integration in the stock head unit with the factory navigation system (I bought 2 different adapters, 1 wouldn't work at all the other worked sometimes [FM transmitter]).

If you love your G2, Keep it... It's not worth much.

I'm on car #9... And the DB1 is definely the most soulful I've owned...
1988 Cadillac Seville (2004)
1991 Acura Integra GS Sedan Auto (2004-2005)
1990 Integra GS Sedan 5spd (2005-2009)
1984 Porsche 944 (2005-2006)
1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 4x4 (2006)
2003 Acura TL-S (2007-2008)
1994 BMW 540I (2009-2011)
2007 Chevy Impala LS (2009-current[Partial ownership])
2007 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner (2011-Current)

The current line up feel very very generic like an appliance... Turn the key, No fuss... I never thought I'd miss driving in silence trying to figure out what an odd noise is. Or having to do a little trick to start a car or do something with it.

I've decided when I can, I think I'll get another car that would have that little charm i'm looking for... Of course it won't be my only mode of transportation.

I'm thinking... DB2 GSR, Clean title 5 speed IS300 (getting hard to find), E34 M5, Saab 900 RPG or something of the like...