PLX DM-100 and SM's Install (w/ pictures)

bschulz

Granny Sedan
As a new member I wanted to give a little back right off the bat so I documented the beginning of my Sleeper Sedan, haha.

A-piller gauges aren't for me when it comes to the the car I'm taking everywhere and using everyday. I shopped around for the best alternative solution and couldn't pass up the PLX Devices iMFD system.

I prefer to wire up a harness for anything I am installing. Taking a few measurements ahead of time to plan it out can really make for an easy install. Everything is kept well hidden and protected!

Hidden is the name of the game here so I opted out of my cassette player and used the remaining space to house all the Modules. In the future I plan on using the "eject" button to toggle display power and will mount a USB link just inside the cassette door.

The OLED display looks much better to the human eye then in any picture I can take. The contrast ratio is excellent.

In keeping with the hidden theme I opted to surface mount the screen in my cluster keeping an OEM look. A little help from my buddy Brian (some code and cutting) and it turned out very well. Anyone could create the cutout using a template and etching out your piece using many sharp razor blades.

Cluster Housing modified to accept screen and circuit board.

I used some good quality foam tape to 'shock mount' the board. A thin layer of hot glue was used on the back side of the face to help hold the screen in place and give it some cushioning. Then a full bead around the edges of the screen to hold it in place. I painted over the glue with a black sharpie to keep the backlights from bleeding through the edge of the screen.

Check out PLXDevices.com to see everything you can do with this system. I love the fact that I can create and upload any type of animation to represent a gauge. Image backgrounds and colors (65,000) are also customizable.

I am hoping to have some decent pictures and on-road videos of the thing in action soon but for now here's a basic rundown of the screen shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCTypUxAscE

One shot while I had a second to hold the camera

Last edited:

Fn Dc2

Pretty clever place to put it....i like how you hide everything....i bet it looks clean....

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
thats killer i wanna see it in and on

bschulz

Granny Sedan
Thanks for the kind words. I know the youtube video is less than appealing but it gives you an idea. I'm going to mess with the camera settings and try to get some good shots of it. Seems like youtube doesn't enjoy converting AVI files so I'll have to try something different.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I have to say, I have the m300te and it's cool, but that is definitely cool how you put in under your tach.

bschulz

Granny Sedan
Yeh PLX really has their game together. My friend Dan (GSROWNSU) has the old school M300 and it's a great little unit. That was my first choice if I could find one but I decided to drop a little more cash to keep it all on one screen.

bschulz

Granny Sedan
Looks good. But I don't think having gauges is very "sleeper".
Ha I suppose your right but if you have to be in the driver seat to read it with the car on it keeps the attention factor to a minimum. I'm piecing my turbo kit together as we speak so I really wanted something to monitor everything in real time. S300 will take care of datalogging.

And when I say sleeper I use the term loosely. To any passer-by my car will look like an original 1996 Civic 4dr. it just wont drive like one. :)

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Ha I suppose your right but if you have to be in the driver seat to read it with the car on it keeps the attention factor to a minimum. I'm piecing my turbo kit together as we speak so I really wanted something to monitor everything in real time. S300 will take care of datalogging.

And when I say sleeper I use the term loosely. To any passer-by my car will look like an original 1996 Civic 4dr. it just wont drive like one. :)
I understand what you're saying. Good luck with the build man. :thumbs up

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I like what you did with the gauge cluster. Very nice work. Keep it up with the install threads.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Nice, thats pretty cool.... So when you go boosted, are you going to paint your intercooler black like I did? haha...

bschulz

Granny Sedan
Nice, thats pretty cool.... So when you go boosted, are you going to paint your intercooler black like I did? haha...
Yes I will be hopefully going backdoor and spraying it with some light coats of radiator paint. Just enough to lose the shine.

All opinions are appreciated, thanks!