DIY Headlight Wet Sanding and Polishing

JGvtec

Headlight wet sanding is basically a way to remove fine scratches, yellowing, and some cracking in the headlights.

Depending on how bad the surface of the headlights are you may have to go to a lower grit sand paper.
I went along and did this to my moms TL and our 96 Civic. I don't have after pictures of the TL but i have after pictures of the civic so don't worry. 8)

TOOLS:
1 800,1000,1500,2000 wet or dry sand paper
1 Bottle of Plast-x (Provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful for a longer period of time)
1 Bowl of water and soap mixture
1 Drill pad
1 Bottle of polish or compound
1 Roll of painters tape
1 Power drill
(Make sure to soak the wet dry sand paper in the soapy water for 10-15 minutes)

Most of these things you can pick up at your local auto parts store. I had almost all of them around the house. Although i wish i have some compound or a heavier swirl/haze remover. :(

First thing you want to do is make sure the surface your going to be working on is clean. I just used some windex and cleaned both headlights.

Next thing you want to do is tape off the area around the headlights so you don't hit your paint.

Then you are going to rub the surface of the headlight with the wet dry sand paper back and forth. You don't need much pressure the weight of your hand is fine. Go through the sand paper 800/1000/1500/2000 for about around 5-10 minutes each. Once you are done the surface will looked all scratched up but no worries that will be gone.( I didn't have a picture of me wet sanding so this is what you get :p)

Next you want to take your drill attachment and put it on the drill. Start to apply the polish and or swirl/haze remover to the headlight. This will take time so be patient.

Once you are done and you wipe everything off it should look something like this.

Have fun! :D

Jordan

hanyo66

Nice DIY. Have you ever used the 3M headlight kit? It does wonders, very similar to this process.

JGvtec

Nice DIY. Have you ever used the 3M headlight kit? It does wonders, very similar to this process.
Thanks man. I have not actually, but sometimes ill go out and try different products to see how they work. Maybe ill try that sometime.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
No offense but they kinda look worse after you did the work. Using the rubbing compound at the end is most vital to the process, thats for sure. I did this on my gf's car too and I think the trick is to polish the crap out of it with compound. I dont have the drill attachment so I just do it by hand.
- Aaron

JGvtec

No offense but they kinda look worse after you did the work. Using the rubbing compound at the end is most vital to the process, thats for sure. I did this on my gf's car too and I think the trick is to polish the crap out of it with compound. I dont have the drill attachment so I just do it by hand.
- Aaron
I can always come back with the compound sometime.

racerguy06

mothers makes a nice kit also worked good for me
came with the compound sanding pads cloth and power ball

1sloDC2

Nice DIY! Have you ever used clear on headlights before? I was reading a writeup earlier today and someone tried it but I'm not too sure if I would risk it

1sloDC2

Shouldn't spray clear on it. A nice clean like above then apply some wax and be done.
That's what I figured. I've restored a few headlights and never have used clear. My headlight ony my z would get a little hazy sometimes but meguiar's polish always took that out

Prozon

Kris
So I restored my buddies headlights tonight on his '03 Hyundai.

Before:

After:

I think he has a picture of one headlight done and one not. I'll have to see.

(And that before picture was AFTER I cleaned it with soap/water/rough pad.)

Last edited:

pirate.deathbat

So I restored my buddies headlights tonight on his '03 Hyundai.

Before:

After:

I think he has a picture of one headlight done and one not. I'll have to see.

(And that before picture was AFTER I cleaned it with soap/water/rough pad.)
huh! my friend has a 04 hyndai elantra with messed up headlights too! lol, imma show him this thread tomorrow.

treeafodo

Austin
When I did mine I used the meguiars headlight restoration kit. It's comes with everything you need other then a drill. You don't need any sanding it's just one step, and it worked really well. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Prozon

Kris
I used the "3m" kit. All you need is masking tape and a drill. A squirt bottle and a detailing cloth are also needed, but for the cloth I just used a washcloth out of my kitchen, nothing fancy.

Clean the surface.
Sand off all the yellow with the gold pad.
Make all the scratches finer with the white pad.
Wet sand with the provided pad.
Buff with the compound/ buffing pad.

Done.

96GSRteg

Tyler
mothers kit comes with everything you need except for a drill. and i didnt mask anything off because i just took off the bumper.

that hyundai actually looks decent now! as much as a hyundai can...