FreshGSR's Rebuild/Upgrade Thread

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
Car: 1995 GS-R
Motor: 1995 GS-R

First, the reason for the rebuild was due to a knock sound, however it wasn't your typical rod knock. Sounded a lot lighter. I took it up to Sacramento for the day and came back that night. Took off the next day while driving to a friend's house and about 5 miles later I hear a loud ticking sound. Being paranoid as usual, I pulled over and checked my cam sprockets due from 6 months prior I had a ticking sound that almost sounded the same as it did(which that time, the sprocket's woodruff key was shaved and the bolt wasn't tight) but this time, didn't look like it was catching the valve cover. I drive it back home and parked it for about a month.

Basically, it was parked for awhile and then I said I was going to rip the damn thing apart... well... 6 months after I said that, this is where we are. It took awhile since I like to go out and get hammered and socialize. What can I say? I'm a self-proclaimed Socialite. Fuck it.

P.S. - Makes sense when you read this part.

I bought this car with the intention that it was in decent shape. Oh yeah, it's in decent shape alright.. if we're talking about the body. The motor was half-ass'd after pulling it apart. ...it gets even better. Stay tuned for the dirtiest stock rebuild CI has ever seen. ;)

Internals:
Evergreen automotive OEM rebuild kit which includes:

- 81.5mm pistons, King bearings, main bearings, rod bearings(all stock size - lucked out just needed a polish on the crank, no grind)

- Full gasket set(except an oil pump gasket(really? Oh well The Right Stuff ftw)

- Oil and water pump
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And then the fun part...

Machine work included in this build:

- Bore

- Valve job

- Refurbished stock OEM rods

- Resurfaced flywheel(PERFORMANCE series by Autocom) <---ZOMG l337 shit.

- Balancing of all rotating assemblies

- Deck of head/block

- OEM stock header ground(to fit flush onto head... won't break any studs now)

- Cleaned exterior of block/head(it was nasty... I should of taken before pics. Fuck it. :O)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I bought(so far):

- OEM stock cam sprockets

- OEM stock timing chain assembly*the hole fucking timing chain is new*(including covers/brackets)

- Used OEM stock crank pulley(cleaned.. looks sexy - mine had a chip)

- OEM stock header

- OEM stock crank bolt(old one was rounding out)

- Misc nuts/bolts(duh)

- OEM clutch kit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Intention:

Getting back to stock, but with a twist.

I will be purchasing upgrades that will contribute to the longevity of my GS-R.

:X

This is where we're at on the build:

Started:

Then

So forth:

Last, but not least of the finished product of today's work:

I would of gotten the oil pan on, however if it hadn't taken me an hr to drive to 4 different Autozones' for 6x1.0 flanged bolts/nuts, it would of been game. That's my luck for ya!

Stay tuned for more build updates!

P.S.

ALL constructive criticism will be taken into consideration, all ass-hat/hater/e-tough remarks will be ignored.

Cheers!

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Be sure to prime that oil pump before you start the car. You can lube up the internals with some vaseline for the initial crank.

In for the outcome.

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
Assembly lube was used for all rotating assemblies.

By prime, meaning have oil in the oil filter, correct?

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
nice, might as paint the block over since its out. make it fresh and new :thumbs up

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
nice, might as paint the block over since its out. make it fresh and new :thumbs up
No point using high temp paint. It sucks. Best way to go is powder coating it, but I'm going to leave it alone. Just stock anyways.

Next build will be powder-coated. ;)

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
UPDATE:

- Assembly and torqued down the head

- Assembly of timing chain

- Timed :thumbsup:

- Valve cover back on

-My OHSOFREAKIN'SWEET OEM Plugs came in dudebro...

sylvaner01

Lucky bugger, I would love to be doing this.
But bloody awesome work so far, looks extremely clean.
Hope she runs like a champ!

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
Lucky bugger, I would love to be doing this.
But bloody awesome work so far, looks extremely clean.
Hope she runs like a champ!
Thanks man. I hope I didn't miss anything or I'm going to kill myself(NOTSERIOUS)

But definitely will drink myself into oblivion if it fucks up lol.

I've spent the past 6 months of my life funding this OEM project. I as well hope ALL goes well.

sylvaner01

haha always the case (spending all ya cash on the current project)
I'm sure it will be fine if you took care and took ya time.

Kinta94

Looks awesome. Ill have to do a completely stock rebuild someday. I always have to upgrade something haha.

good luck with your build looks very clean and good so far.

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
Looks awesome. Ill have to do a completely stock rebuild someday. I always have to upgrade something haha.

good luck with your build looks very clean and good so far.
Do it man!

I found out a shit-ton of garbage was done to my ride and it's all fixed... almost. I haven't updated, but so far the motor is completely assembled. Just gotta bolt up the tranny and pick up a couple more things. Should be running within a week or two depending on my help.

I'll be sure to take some shots on the rest of the work we do. It's been a crazy year! Time to raise her back from the dead!

Mr.Dee

looks good.just make sure u crank it over by hand about 1 or 2 revolution just to make sure nothing is banging or binding.
i had a problem with a rebuild when the pistons werent connected correctly

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
Motor is dropped in. Should be runnin' within two weeks. Would be runnin' now, but Vegas on the 9th. Funds are redirected for recreational purposes ;)

Only things left that are needed are ball joints, tie rods, and misc. Almost there! Sorry I'm depriving of pictures. I'll post more soon!