My 98 Gsr Build Thread :D

Parkourdemon

Captain Obvious
Alright Guys, So I finally Decided to compile everything thus far and make an ACTUAL build thread.
So here goes, hopefully it does some justice to itself.

1998 Acura Integra
Trim: GSR
Color: Cypress Green
Interior: Tan Leather
Engine: Stock, B18C1
Transmission: Stock Close Ratio
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Modifications Done:
Short Ram Air Intake
Painted Valve Cover
Unknown Ebay 4-2-1 Headers
Pacesetter High Flow Catalytic Converter
Apexi Noir Cat-back Exhaust
Dual Head Unit With Ipod dock
Dual 10" Sub
500 Watt Amp
Unknown Tint % on All windows
Tenzo R Front Strut Tower bar
10k HID Headlights with slim Ballasts.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Specs out of the way, How about the story behind it?
I Started looking for a GSR back in 2010, for a while it seemed to no avail. I could either find one in my price range, but completely Trashed, or A lower trim. Well, I didn't give up and kept scouring CL daily looking for one.
Finally, in july of 10', I found what seemed to be a mostly clean GSR with 142000 miles on it. I jumped on this opportunity and drove to Denver to look at it. Upon reaching it, everything seemed to be good to me. ( I was 17 at the time).
It drove fine, interior seemed good, no huge dents or scratches, everything was good except the exhaust, it was loud, WAY too loud. But I figured I could deal with loudness for a while and picked it up for 3650$
Drove it home, and I was the proud new owner of an Acura Integra GSR! :D (There was much rejoicing)

Here's What it look like when I first got it
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

So that's what I originally bought. Biggest downside Was the exhaust, it was so loud I was sure I'd get a ticket, and it made it seem like I wanted to race everyone and their mother if I had to start on a hill.
Anyways, Did all the basic stuff to it, and pulled the tint off the Corners and Taillights, and it looked tons better!
See!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

So I drove it around like that for Quite some time. Basic Stuff was done to it every now and again but nothing major really. Found out in December ish of 2010 that I had gotten a job in Maryland doing stunt work.
Knowing that I'd have to drive all the way out to Maryland, I decided the exhaust just had to be changed. Previously I had driven to Vegas with the fart can on, and I honestly think some of my hearing loss is because of it.

Now I don't like being very loud, especially after that, so i looked for the quietest performance exhaust I could and found the Apexi NOIR.
I am simply in love with its sound, combined with the hi flow cat and headers, at 6000 RPM's it hits a note that makes me say "Oh dear lord" every time.
So Me and my friend started to take off the old exhaust........to our growing horror...this is where it all hit the fan.
Upon further inspection of the exhaust system....we cried....quite literally...

For starters, the headers, were not the right length, They did not bolt up to the bottom mount that held it in place, so the entire system would rattle at certain RPM's. Secondly, it was straight piped all the way back to the tiny fart can muffler. The straight Pipe, was WELDED to the headers, where it should have been BOLTED. The piping was 2 1/2' from the header back to the curve, where it was then choked down to 1 1/2' piping, then BACK to 2' piping to finally dump at the muffler. Not to mention 1/2 of all the hanger weren't there, and the ones that were, again had been WELDED in place. I also should note, they had CUT the o2 sensors and WELDED them in place...

Now, with proper tools this wouldn't have been so bad, but proper tools is something we had A lack of then.
So with a tiny hacksaw, we began.....Then Dan broke the hacksaw so we got another. After maybe a total of 4 1/2 hours using the hacksaw we finally broke free the stupid "Custom Exhaust put on at his buddies shop". It has been sitting under my Bronco since then, and I may melt it out of spite.
Now naturally, I had ordered the replacement exhaust to fit on a 98 GSR, which it does. But not when the headers aren't the right length....or the right bolt placement...SO! The solution was to put my catalytic converter on upside-down, plug it with the old o2 sensors, and somehow manage to bolt up the Apexi cat back.

As seen here: ( Note that the headers are on the correct holding bolts, but we later had to take it off of those so the angle would allow proper bolting to the block itself)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

So We somehow managed to make all of that work and I drove it to maryland without losing all of my hearing . The job I had there had me working 6-7 days a week, and living in an apartment complex. So besides basic maintenance, I never really had time to work on the car. The only upgrade I gave my car in Maryland, were a set of Clear Corner lenses.
[/IMG]

Pretty stylish if you ask me.
So while I was in Maryland, the hurricane hit, and my poor Teggy got flooded :( Not in the engine or anything, but the trunk and carpet were completely flooded with standing water left in them :(
No good! So I saved them as much as I could, but now on days when it sits in the sun, my car smells like the ocean, but not in a good way =/

Regardless of all that, I've made it back to Colorado :D It did fine on the trip back, especially the twisty mountain roads of Pennsylvania :D But on a more recent trip to my Girlfriends, whilst on the interstate, my driver side clear corner just up and fell out, then shattered into little tiny pieces :(
On its way out it also ripped out one of the connectors and of course the bulbs and such.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

So I ordered all the replacement parts(I think) and I'll be putting my original Amber corners back on.
Also snagged a tenzo R Front strut bar for 20$ off CL
[/IMG]
So hopefully tomorrow if it's nice, I'll be replacing the corner and putting on the strut bar. Will also take pics of my valve cover for you guys, It's ford blue ;)
I'll also take more pics to show you what Maryland does to Colorado cars.
Anyways, there's my build so far. can't really do much for a while, it's coming on winter and I just had shoulder surgery two weeks ago.
Stay tuned.......(See what I did there? ..."Tuned"....you know....)

Last edited:

Resistance92

Bro great thread man, love the pics and ur wording! Nice gsr, wish i had her. U got a great price on her. LOL @ the fart can, glad u got it all fixed up. U have a nice camera, what kind? Also u should make a youtube vid of the sound of ur car, im interested in it. Keep it up

Parkourdemon

Captain Obvious
Bro great thread man, love the pics and ur wording! Nice gsr, wish i had her. U got a great price on her. LOL @ the fart can, glad u got it all fixed up. U have a nice camera, what kind? Also u should make a youtube vid of the sound of ur car, im interested in it. Keep it up
Hey thanks! My ears are glad i got it fixed up too :p
Well, The first two sets of pictures are from an old digital, the exhaust ones were from my moms crazy nice Canon, the clear corners from my andriod phone, and the last ones from a Kodack video camera.
Yeah, I had planned on doing that soon, but it may be a while since I can't drive stick for a bit :p

meANDmyDB7

actually has an FB6 now.
damn. the car was shiny as hell in the first pictures.

Parkourdemon

Captain Obvious
Alright guys, here's an update :) It was fairly nice out today, so I got to work!

First here's some updated pics of my poor teggy :eek:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Ipod dock head unit :)
[/IMG]
Sub & Amp
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Apexi Noir on the back
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

So I got to work and bolted up my Strut Tower Bar, it was a nice fit and looks good!
Here's all the parts I have to put on lol
[/IMG]
Strut tower bar on!
[/IMG]

Ok, so i got part of the sidemarker connectors and such replaced, but now i'm at a loss.
There's this connector, that's not even supposed to be there....and the wires for the other seem to have ripped and or been cut higher up...thoughts?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Oh, and i also found this under my driver seat...pulled it out...anyone wtf it is/does? EDIT: Floormat holder :D
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:

bkennedy

If that thing is what i think it is, its for the floor mat, they kinda hook onto it, Maybe... just a guess, i had one in mine too.

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
I was gonna say floormat to, the 98+ models had it to keep the floormats from slipping, there should be a hole in the floormat if that is what it is.

Parkourdemon

Captain Obvious
If that thing is what i think it is, its for the floor mat, they kinda hook onto it, Maybe... just a guess, i had one in mine too.
Correct! :D But seeing as I don't have stock floormats currently, I pulled it out so i stop hitting my feet on it :eek:

Parkourdemon

Captain Obvious
Alright guys, A little update!
After too much searching, I FINALLY got the wire crimps/terminals I need to fix my blinker -_-

El Shack of Radios yielded one set!
[/IMG]

Aaaand the Acura Dealer took my arm and leg for the other set -_-
9 F@#%ing Bucks for three wires -sigh-
[/IMG]

I'm hoping it's nice out tomorrow so I can finish the dumb thing and have a street legal GSR once more! :D

It Was nice out! Got it all finished up and re-wired with the help of my dad :)

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Parkourdemon

Captain Obvious
Alright guys, here's some more goodies :D
The other night my sub on/off switch came out, so i decided to replace it and rewire all that stuff, so that i have an easier way to turn it on and off :)

So, here's the old sloppy/messy/obvious amp/sub setup. Yuck!

pulled out the sub and amp, and here's all that nasty wiring showing :p

found this where the spire tire is ...o_O

pulled out the spare tire and jack to make room for the amp :D

Here's where we got started on tucking wires through the carpet and such, at great sacrifice to our hands, but easier than pulling the whole carpet up :)

And then we began tucking the wires under the seats and such, we used the back end of a plastic squeegee, it actually worked remarkably well.

I used a dremel, and a small dremel bit to free hand cut the area for the switch to stick out at, i think I did a pretty good job :)

Then came the wiring of the actual switch, couldn't find any good sauder around so i just crimped them and wrapped them in electrical tape.

Hooked all the wires back up to the amp, which is now relocated to the spare tire area

This is the mount i made for the amp, took some plywood, cut to a bit over size, drilled an appropriate size hole in it, then used the spare tire wingnut and such to hold the amp in place :) It's not in this picture though xD

And here's the pretty finished product, a much cleaner trunk space, and sweet sub on off switch :)