92 teg gear ratio and speed..

tomas1.8ls

i have a 92 teg ls and it feels like the gear ratio is really short in my car...
1st gear: 0- almost 10mph
2nd gear: 10- maybe 40-45mph
3rd gear: 45- maybe 80-85mph
4th gear: 85- whatever mph
5th gear: idk

idk if this is the way its supossed to be but this is the way mine is... is this just my car that is like this or is this the way they run?? bc my friends 92 teg 2nd gear goes to about 60mph... how can i fix this or what can i do to extend my gear ratio?? please help

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Doing the math on a G2 LS with stock gear ratios, final drive and tire size show it should be as follows at 7k rpms:

1st = 35.44
2nd = 60.25
3rd = 90.21
4th = 118.5
5th = 154.27

Things that may have effected your gear ratios in that manner:
- Transmission from a VTEC car
- Final drive from a VTEC car
- Improper tire size (throw off your gear ratios AND speedometer)

Or a combination of the options

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
10 mph is redline in 1st gear?

are you sure you're reving your car out? That shouldn't be right for any car.

tomas1.8ls

what is the recomended tire and rim size?? mine is 195/60R-14.... i tryed to find recomended tire and rim sizes but no luck... if you could help me out that would be great.... thank you for your help

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
10 mph is redline in 1st gear?

are you sure you're reving your car out? That shouldn't be right for any car.
That's what I was thinking. Are you sure the speedometer is even functioning right? Just about every car in the world does 30-35 in first and 60-65 in second
what is the recomended tire and rim size?? mine is 195/60R-14.... i tryed to find recomended tire and rim sizes but no luck... if you could help me out that would be great.... thank you for your help
That is the stock tire size.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Theres no way you tach out 1st gear @ 10mph.... Like he said, most average cars are around 30-35 in 1st. and 50-60 in 2nd.

Maybe you have the hella short gear'd B16 tranny?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
even then tho the b16 doesn't max out at 10mph in 1st.

My guess is the speedo cable is going bad... That's common on G2's

tomas1.8ls

i was thinking that also.... bc i have had a couple honda mechanics and they brought it out on a drive and told me that first and second gear were really short, but i thought it was only my cable... but my tach doesnt jump or anything like that...

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Well, have you tried taking the car past what it's telling you is redline? You'll know it's hitting redline when it starts screaming and the engine noise is really loud...

tomas1.8ls

i have only brought it to 7000rpms.... the only gear i bounced off redline was 2nd and that was just about 50mph...and its hard to tell where 1st gear ends because it goes so quick its hard to tell what rpms...

tomas1.8ls

his first gear is also way longer than mine.... but the 2nd gear is about right where mines at... im gunna have to look up on the vin and find out... any more info on this subject would be great thanks again for your help

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
his first gear is also way longer than mine.... but the 2nd gear is about right where mines at... im gunna have to look up on the vin and find out... any more info on this subject would be great thanks again for your help
Maybe it's just your sensor thingy like ^they^ said... You think that's way longer than yours? LOL. My Jetta's 1st gear goes 50mph, 2nd goes 80mph, 3rd goes 120mph.... Now that's long. Long like a whale's you know what. :lol: