Broken oil pressure sensor mount!!

mrc1983

After rebuilding my B17A I installed it a few days ago and fired it up yesterday... It turned on fine but I noticed an oil leak. The part of the block where the oil pressure sensor screws in broke off. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this issue? Im pulling the engine out tomorrow to get a better look but im hoping i can fix this somehow but I honestly have no idea. I think im screwed!!

mirrorimg

Can you upload a picture to Photobucket.com (or another image sharing site) and post it in here.

Prozon

Kris
You don't actually need to pull the engine do you? The whole thing just unscrews right? Just slide in under it and reach up from the back.

mrc1983

The sensor is out but it plugs directly into block and thats what broke.. will take a better look tomorrow

mirrorimg

You don't actually need to pull the engine do you? The whole thing just unscrews right? Just slide in under it and reach up from the back.
If its bad, pulling the motor would be for the best. I dont really understand the description of the issue, and a picture would be worth a thousand words.

My current speculation is:
1. The sensor itself broke (sheared in half), and the threads are stuck in the block.
2. The sensor was overtightened, or something got into the threads and caused a hairline crack in the block. High oil pressure on startup made this crack larger, and the actual port "broke off" of the block

Prozon

Kris
That makes sense. I guess we will have to wait until the picture is here.