top end tapping

phinattic

Ok I have just noticed a tapping noise coming from the top end. Kind of sounds like when a lifter is tapping on a V8. I know the valves probably need to be adjusted and its time for a timing belt but Im wondering if it would be worth the cost to go ahead and replace the cam shafts while I am doing the rest of it. The motor has 215,000 on it and climbing cause I drive it everyday. So give me your opinions good Idea or bad ?

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
Tapping could be the valves need an adjustment. You also mqy be hearing the fuel injectors they make a clicking sound made me think for minute my valves need adjustment till I listened closer lol. As for changing out the cams I would say your say your fine if your not having any issues. If you have your heart set on it you can pull the cams and check the specs (a machine shop can check also) But you will need a few things to do it correctly. First a micrometer. Second cam turning tool (its a cradle looking device that allows you to turn the cam outside the engine) third a dial indicator with a magnetic base. If your not familiar with using these I recommend letting a machine shop check the specs.But, I would say your fine IMO

^Pretty much nailed it on the head.
Also, it's nice to see a well presented and thought out post. I wish all newcomers to the site would do that.

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
^Pretty much nailed it on the head.
Also, it's nice to see a well presented and thought out post. I wish all newcomers to the site would do that.
Thanks :) I do my best. I have alot knowledge in this field and enjoy helping others. I always make sure I'm getting the right info to them. I hear alot of bad advice out there. Hoping even those people can learn a thing or two :D

90tegwhite

Keep Droolin' Im Spoolin'
Before you do anything check the porcilne on your spark plugs for movement I had A dodge pick up that I thought needed a new motor from a tick and it needed new plugs so swaps out plugs and problem fixed... It was odd but the porcilne let go and every time there was combustion in that cylinder it would tick.... Probably pretty rare to happen but just a thought

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.778029,-118.842764