trouble with battery relocation HELP PLEASE

mohawk42s

Ok i did a battery relocation...now my starter just clicks when i try to turn it over

I have...

New battery
10 month old starter with 9k miles on it
4g wire that runs from + terminal to the under hood fuse box
from the fuse box i ran another to the starter

4g wire that runs from - terminal to stock ground position

i can roll start the car and all electrical works

what am i doing wrong?

Last edited:

bcartwright88

the started needs its own wire straight from the battery dude, might even need bigger wire 00g would have been the way i would have gone 4g and DC current dont mix well over any amount of distance.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
yeah, definitely needs a dedicated wire from the battery. I have a DA, and the OEM 6g wire is fine. No need to go bigger, honestly. When I did my battery relocation (not much of a relocation, honestly) I used a 6g wire to the starter, another 6g to the fusebox, and a 0g wire for the ground (extra wire i had laying around, and was out of 6g)

mohawk42s

This is how i have it wired

The red on top goes to battery +
The red on bottom goes to starter

im getting 12v at the starter when the car isnt running

im going to hook everything up stock to make sure something didnt happen to my starter...will keep yall updated!

mohawk42s

ok...hooked everything back up the way i had it while it was stock

same thing! I think i blew a fuse so im gonna look for a diagram and will see if thats it.

will be back!

mohawk42s

OK! I fixed the problem...

I remembered that i have a lifetime warranty on my starter so i was like what the hell...ill take it in and get it exchanged. The guy at the store did a bench test on it and it passed. After me and a buddy described in detail what was going on the guy said, "wait a second, ive got a trick." He reversed the polarity on the bench tester and it came up with 3 fail notes. He switch the starter out for a new one as i slipped him a $20 and i went on my marry way.

i hooked the new starter up with the battery relocated and it turned over.

Done and done.

thanks fellas!

Last edited:

mohawk42s

no the bench test showed it was good...i watched it spin up myself
he had no reason to swap it out

but for whatever reason after installing the new starter everything worked

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
the way you have it wired in the pic above is nowhere near correct. its sending current in different paths that it wasn't meant to do. one wire into the fusebox. one wire to the starter. there's no alternative.

you said you were blowing fuses, etc. I think you're going to have more problems in a short amount of time. But you said you have the wiring routed back to stock wiring paths, right? if so, you might be okay. But the fuses being blown could have been a result of the wiring in the first pic. The fusebox needs a dedicated 12v wire that isn't shared with anything else. Hence all the fuses. It can't have power going in, and also routing out on the same connection. Its only meant to send power out at the fuses. Can't be a "shared connection". Of course with the car not running, the starter would read 12v. because technically 12v were being sent to it, but when you try to start the car, the battery is sending 12 v to one source, and being split in a very unusual way. now, all the fuses are trying to do their job AND share the same 12v source that is also trying to go to the battery. the fuses aren't going to share well with others (the starter, lol). That is why they each require a dedicated 12v source.