P1259 - VTEC Malfunction

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
Everytime I get into it and get over 6k rpms (GSR so my Redline is at iirc 8k) a check engine light comes on. Checking it pulls a code for VTEC Malfunction. So Ive taken off the solenoid with the 3 bolts and disconnected. Sprayed the solenoid and what not with carb cleaner, let it dry and re installed (hoping the screen was cleaned). Unfortunately it didn't work and the light then again came on. Im guessing I need to buy a new VTEC solenoid? Car only has 70k miles, Bone Stock and is a 1997 GSR.

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
Barely. I had my friend ride with me who has owned hondas all his life and he says that he didn't think vtec was engaging. I do notice as the CEL is on, I burn a lot more fuel. Yeah I know ill burn more fuel as im up over 6k rpms but only reason im up that high is to test the different fixes ive been trying and after I clear the code and see if it comes back on.

gugiey

test your solenoid . easy to do . if you have jumper wires . power your solenoid with 12 v then ground it . you should hear a clicking sound . if not then replace it .

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
Im just half tempted to just replace it anyway. I mean the car sat for 3 years, only driven around the block by previous owner. He had too many cars, so finally decided to sell it. The solenoid cover thing is a lil rusted or w/e. I was checking out the Skunk2 Solenoid.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I don't see VTEC solenoids fail all that often, it's usually something else causing it. Wiring is all good? Any other codes being thrown?

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
Yeah, No other codes are thrown. Wiring is perfect. It could just be a freak thing. It seems to run fine when code is cleared and i drive like a grandpa, but im 23 years old, I run a parts business and want to put some of the parts on my dd teg and have fun haha

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Secondary butterflies open at 6k though which s what he's talking about. I still think something's wrong an not grounded on the oil pressure unit or something.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Get a Haynes manual it'll walk you through testing it, check the voltages on it, and compare it to the manual. I guarantee there's a difference there. I can't find my manual, think my friend has it, or I'd post them for you.

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
Yeah if anyone has the voltages, post them please. I cleaned the screen and all that with carb cleaner. It had a new distributor put on it so im wondering if they had to take the solenoid ground off when changing the distrib and it wasnt grounded correctly.

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
So after going through everything. Checking Ground, Cleaning Screen. I went ahead and finally changed the oil. I always change the oil on cars that I just buy and the car has been in my possession for about a week. I had to get the crush washers from honda, and I did the oil change yesterday. No joke, there was about a quart n a half of oil in the car. It gobbled up 5 Quarts (even though it says to put 4.2 in) Got code cleared and no light has come on since. Most likely the problem was the oil pressure.