1999 integra blowing smoke

paulman65

Hey guys..im new to this site..i recenetly bought a 1999 integra 1.8L sohc, power windows..power locks..seats are cloth..its got a problem though its constaly blowing smoke...ppl have told me its a head gasket im thiking about replacing the engine...whats a good engine to replace it with?? can i put a vtec engine ini t?? thanks

IntegraGSR1999

Carte Blanche For CHAOS!
When did tegs ever come with SOHC? Werent all 2nd and 3rd gen tegs Dual Cam motors? Someone def correct me if im wrong.

DC2tegraGSR

I think he meant DOHC lol, but if it's just your head gasket then you don't need a whole new engine, the only time you really need a new one is if the original one is completely destroyed beyond repairable or building towards performance. Take it to a mechanic and get it checked out and get an estimate for the repair, and yes you can put another vtec motor in.

esco115

Fawk a Title!
Hey guys..im new to this site..i recenetly bought a 1999 integra 1.8L sohc, power windows..power locks..seats are cloth..its got a problem though its constaly blowing smoke...ppl have told me its a head gasket im thiking about replacing the engine...whats a good engine to replace it with?? can i put a vtec engine ini t?? thanks
well thats ur first problem, u happen to loose a cam along the way... if its white smoke (heavy) then yes its ur headgasket (means water entering the piston(s) area) and depending how bad it is and how much water the pistons are getting in all depends on whether u need to replace ur one missing cam motor...

if its blue smoke (means ur burning oil) either ur valve seals needs replacements or ur piston rings need replacement(s)...

if its black smoke (means ur running rich) ur getting to much fuel to the motor and cant burn it all on time (hence ur missing a cam) and sometimes this means good, however, guessing that ur all STOCK and missing a cam its BAD!!!

P.S ... I will stop the one cam missing jokes now... lol

paulman65

sorry dohc i meeant..its blowing white smoke...so anywatys i took it to a mechenic who quoated me 1600 bucks with taxs parts and labour..he said hes gonig to replace head gasket..send somthing to the machine shop and replace spark plugs..timing belt..timing tensioner...and water pump.....if i wanted to rebuild the top end of my motor what would the top end rebuild consist of thanks?

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
a valve job,a new head on a old block can cause a car to smoke,burn oil.

silvertegls

sorry dohc i meeant..its blowing white smoke...so anywatys i took it to a mechenic who quoated me 1600 bucks with taxs parts and labour..he said hes gonig to replace head gasket..send somthing to the machine shop and replace spark plugs..timing belt..timing tensioner...and water pump.....if i wanted to rebuild the top end of my motor what would the top end rebuild consist of thanks?
damn 1600 to do a head job I would not go to that mechanic that is way to fukcing much. I would do the same for less than 300... It is not very hard at all.You should just do it all yourself its just like putting legos together but easier Because i would not pay no 1600 for a head job when you could buy a whole motor for 500

proudtobeawesom

some integras in like Australia or somewhere over seas came with single cams

cant find the pictures again though

~kevin

Last edited:

paulman65

yeah i know its kinda expensive but thats the cheapest reliable mechenic i came across...i was thinknig about replacing the motor its couple hundered cheaper aswell...but even buying a low milage engine..sooner or later the head gasket in that will give aswell...so im thinking i might jus get this guy to do it for 1500..anyone else out there have had a similar job done? n for how much?

Si-Guy

I would NEVER charge or pay $1600 for a Headjob... lol... For people i know, They buy the parts, and $250 and its a done deal.

Si-Guy

And any problems, within a certain time period, i offer them to come back to me, and i take care of it free of charge.

heykosal

Angkorian
damn 1600 to do a head job I would not go to that mechanic that is way to fukcing much. I would do the same for less than 300... It is not very hard at all.You should just do it all yourself its just like putting legos together but easier Because i would not pay no 1600 for a head job when you could buy a whole motor for 500
x2, get yourself a shop manual and do it yourself.