Blowing smoke @ vtec

natron84

I can usually figure out whats going on with my cars, and im not unfamiliar with integras, ive had 5. But i am new to 3rd gens and vtec, so i need help. My compression is fine, head gasket is good too, but my car blows smoke everytime i hit vtec. There is also smoke when its first started, until it warms up.
so im thinkin valve seals????
any ideas???:2confused

eiznekeM

I think if it was a valve seal you'd see weeping. Might be your piston rings. Check your valve guides too. Are you losing oil when you check it?

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Most likely its your valve stem seals. More times then not people are quick to say "its your rings" only to find out it was valve stem seals that went bad. If your compression check came back normal then that kinda eliminates the whole bad ring theory. Valve stem seals are cheap to replace

Alvi84

Do you smoke when accelerating or smoke when decelleratin? Also, what were your compression numbers? If you have carbon build up on your vavles you could throw higher numbers.

natron84

Most likely its your valve stem seals. More times then not people are quick to say "its your rings" only to find out it was valve stem seals that went bad. If your compression check came back normal then that kinda eliminates the whole bad ring theory. Valve stem seals are cheap to replace
Yeah...thats what i thought.
Do you smoke when accelerating or smoke when decelleratin? Also, what were your compression numbers? If you have carbon build up on your vavles you could throw higher numbers.
not sure on the numbers, i had my stepdad run it for me, I'll ask him when i get the chance. Smoke is mainly on medium to heavy acceleration, but really noticeable after vtec.

also I have some oil leaking from my valve cover but i thought it was just the gasket, since it only leaks from one side. Could that be the "weeping" referred to earlier?

eiznekeM

:retard: what do you mean by weeping.
Yeah...thats what i thought.

not sure on the numbers, i had my stepdad run it for me, I'll ask him when i get the chance. Smoke is mainly on medium to heavy acceleration, but really noticeable after vtec.

also I have some oil leaking from my valve cover but i thought it was just the gasket, since it only leaks from one side. Could that be the "weeping" referred to earlier?[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I meant, good intuition dude. It's not pouring out or leaking steadily, it's just "weeping" slightly. Try the valve gasket first. My theory is that if it's when you're in mid to high rpms and seeing smoke, it's because the engine is hotter and the oil that has "weeped" out is burning off quicker/coming out a little more. Same with the start up, it was cold then it's warm all of a sudden. My theory anyway, anyone feel free to disprove that.

Last edited:

seahtech

If you dont have smoke after the vehicle sits for severel hours or oil on your plugs then you can rule out tube seals.

If you smoke under vtec it is due to the dramatic increase in oil pressure that it leaking past the valve seals. Almost any and all b-series vtec engine with some miles or that has been driving hard will do this and burn oil on vtec in general. How much is being burnt is dependent on oil ring and and valve seal condition.

Honestly if your not burning oil after the vehicle has been sitting for awhile (will happen at start up will see a puff) or any RPMs before vtec engagement I wouldnt worry about it. Its what Hondas do. Check and change the oil regularly and you'll be fine. Wait until they really start leaking before you start tearing sh!t apart. That it my .02 cents.

Edit: Your side valve cover gasket leaking if it is on the right side with the vtec solenoid it is most commonly either that or cam end plug. Could also be the Dist O-ring. Just need to check them out. Clean all the oil off with brake clean and go drive it. Look for signs of fresh oil

natron84

well thanks guys. I guess ima replace my gaskets and valve seals right away, cuz i'll be going to some track days soon... better safe than sorry right?

eiznekeM

If you dont have smoke after the vehicle sits for severel hours or oil on your plugs then you can rule out tube seals.

If you smoke under vtec it is due to the dramatic increase in oil pressure that it leaking past the valve seals. Almost any and all b-series vtec engine with some miles or that has been driving hard will do this and burn oil on vtec in general. How much is being burnt is dependent on oil ring and and valve seal condition.

Honestly if your not burning oil after the vehicle has been sitting for awhile (will happen at start up will see a puff) or any RPMs before vtec engagement I wouldnt worry about it. Its what Hondas do. Check and change the oil regularly and you'll be fine. Wait until they really start leaking before you start tearing sh!t apart. That it my .02 cents.

Edit: Your side valve cover gasket leaking if it is on the right side with the vtec solenoid it is most commonly either that or cam end plug. Could also be the Dist O-ring. Just need to check them out. Clean all the oil off with brake clean and go drive it. Look for signs of fresh oil
+1 for good advice.

OP, how is your smoke situation today?