Weight reduction tips

jdmvtecboi

For many car enthusiasts who love to customize their vehicles, making their vehicle lighter is often a main goal. Why? Well a lighter vehicle accelerates faster than the stock model as there is a greater power to weight ratio so in a way, decreasing the weight of your car, has the same effect as increasing your horsepower. A lighter vehicle also leads to better braking as the brakes do not have to work as hard to fully stop a lighter vehicle and better handling.

The best way to lighten your new car or truck is to remove parts which you do not need as well as to take the vital parts of your car and replace them with lighter models. The following tips will outline specific ways in which this can be achieved.

When replacing items on your car, parts made of carbon fiber generally tend to be lighter than the stock parts. That is why you should replace your stock hood and trunk with a carbon fiber hood and trunk. The amount of weight this will reduce varies from model to model, but generally, you can expect to lighten your vehicle by around 30 pounds through this alone. You may also want to replace your stock wheels with lightweight wells that weigh anywhere from 8-10 pounds less. Your header and exhaust can also be replaced by lightweight performance parts and this can reduce the weight of your car 15-20 pounds. Finally, replacing the stock battery with a lightweight battery can take of an additional 8-10 pounds off the weight of your car. By replacing just a few stock parts, with lighter performance parts, you can lighten your car by around 70 pounds.

However, when replacing parts on your car, there is more to consider than just weight. Make sure that the replacement parts you are using are made of good material from a reputable company and will improve the performance of your car and function properly.

Apart from making a few changes in the part you use on your Honda vehicle, there are some parts that you can completely remove and lighten your car further. If you are racing, be sure to remove these parts on the day(s) of the race as you probably will not need them during the race. Removing just the spare tire from the back of your car can cut 23 pounds of the total weight. If this car was purchased solely for racing, you may want to consider removing the passenger seat and the rear seats. Keeping just the driver’s seat in the car and reduce the overall weight of the car by more than 35 pounds. You should also remove the floor mats as they are not a necessity and surprisingly weigh 10 pounds. Removing the muffler on race day can reduce the overall weight of your car another 10 pounds.

There are also heavy metal fixtures in your glove compartment that can be removed, your air conditioner can be removed, (although I do not recommend this because it can get very hot in the car, especially during the summer months), cruise control can be removed as can your rear wiper, sound tar, and much more. Finally, if you are not keen on listening to the radio or music in your car, removing the radio and speakers can subtract over 10 pounds from the weight of your car. Finally, make sure you have removed all items from the trunk and any additional items from inside your car that may add some weight. (40 pound dumbbells in the trunk don’t exactly help your cause.)

There are many ways to lighten your car and although some are more extreme than others, such as removing the seats versus removing the spare tire, in a race, each additional pound helps. This article has mentioned many of the best ways to remove large amounts of weight from your car without sacrificing performance, but there are a number of other ways to lighten your cars as well. Although these other modifications may only take away four or five pounds each, if enough modifications are made, these small weight deductions add up quickly and can significantly lower the weight of your car. If you are not the most mechanically savvy among us, you may want to bring your car down to the shop to get some work done, especially where parts are being replaced. (But there are also a number of things you can do to lighten the weight of your Honda without consulting professional help.) Everything from your steering wheel to your rear windshield can be replaced and made lighter and there are hundreds of things you can remove on the inside of your vehicle to reduce the weight of your car even further. All that is required is a little experimenting to see if lighter parts improve the performance of your car and to see what effect removing a certain item has on your acceleration and handling and make a decision on whether that part should stay or go.

Purchasing a light vehicle to start off with helps, but if you would rather choose a heavier model based on performance or preference, following the tips above can help lower you car’s weight and lead you to racing success, or just a better driving experience.

Thanks go to acuraclub.com for this article.

Last edited by a moderator:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Please site the source of this info, we're not into ganking credit for other peoples work around here.

IntegrasAreBest

Honda / Acura Fanatic
TegSox said:
Please site the source of this info, we're not into ganking credit for other peoples work around here.
my thoughts exactly.

steelies_ftw

i usually take a shit b4 i race hah, or just get an aneorexic gf, im pretty sure everyone knows how to do weight reduction, but i could be wrong

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^^ agreed, The shit usually drops a few pounds.

speedin

The Transporter
does anyone know about frame drilling? You use a circular drill and punch holes in the frame. Wonder how this does on rigidity? Ive seen it done on many highend racers. Also what you guys think of hole drilling the the hood and trunk braces (the things that go under the metal sheet). Again rigidity is my main concern, But since it is a circle cut the load should distribute enough not to cause any hot spots.. Anyone experianced with this?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I'm not. But go onto Sportcompactcarweb.com and find the featured Opera S2000. It has lots of it. It's a ridiculously built car with attention to every single detail possible

R1DC2

Got Integra?
i dunno if its off topic. But i see alot of hondas with those rear bumpers and have big holes in them?!?! what is that.
([O O O O ])

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Alot of them take out all the bumper supports and that stuff to reduce weight. Then they cut the holes in it so that empty shell of a bumper isn't like a parachute on the back of the car. That mainly helps with aerodynamics after you take everything out from inside the bumper

speedin

The Transporter
dc2GS-R said:
I'm not. But go onto Sportcompactcarweb.com and find the featured Opera S2000. It has lots of it. It's a ridiculously built car with attention to every single detail possible
yea opera does it to ALL parts of their cars. I have the mag where it shows pix of the S2K and DC5 build. And those frames are all hole drilled.