Differences between 04-05

1caintegra

type-s and the RS
2002-2006 Acura RSX Review
Introduced for 2002, the front-drive RSX replaced Acura's entry-level Integra. Though similar in dimensions, the RSX featured new styling and promised more power. The new model came only as a two-door hatchback coupe, whereas the Integra had been offered in coupe and sedan body styles. Acura's RSX came in both base and sportier, performance-oriented Type-S trim. Each used a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. The 160-horsepower base model could have a five-speed manual or optional five-speed automatic transmission. In the Type-S, the engine made 200 horsepower and was available only with a six-speed manual gearbox. The Type-S had a firmer suspension, but the same 16-inch wheels and tires as the base model. Both versions included antilock four-wheel disc brakes and front side airbags, plus automatic climate control and a sunroof. Leather upholstery was standard in the Type-S and optional for the base RSX. The Type-S also contained an in-dash CD changer. Competitors included sport coupes like the Mitsubishi Eclipse and Toyota Celica, as well as the Mini Cooper and Volkswagen New Beetle. Acura is Honda's luxury/premium division

Year to Year Changes
2003 Acura RSX: Except for one new paint color, the RSX coupe was unchanged for 2003.
2004 Acura RSX: Heated mirrors became standard for 2004, but other changes were few.
2005 Acura RSX: Freshened styling, sporty-model upgrades, and 10 more horspower for the Type-S model mark Acura's entry-level car for 2005. The Type-S also gets a standard rear spoiler and 17-inch wheels for '05. Both trim levels get revised suspension, steering, and brakes, plus a minor facelift, more heavily bolstered front seats, and extra interior accents in chrome and faux titanium.
2006 Acura RSX: No significant changes for 2006 RSX

2002-2006 Acura RSX
Expert Rating Summary
Category Acura RSX Type-S Rating
(See All Ratings)

Performance 7

Fuel Economy 6

Ride Quality 3

Steering/Handling/Braking 7

Quietness 3

Controls/Materials 8

Interior Room 4

Room/Comfort (rear) 2

Cargo Capacity 3

Value within Class 3

Total Score: 46

Ratings: Maximum 10 points per category
Chart: One rating chart provided for a representative model

Powertrain Options and Availability
Two 2.0-liter, dual-overhead-cam four-cylinder engines have been available in the RSX. Base models used a 160-horsepower version, while the Type-S got a 200-horsepower variant, which grows to 210-hp in 2005. Only a six-speed manual gearbox came with the Type-S, but base coupes could have either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission.
Engines Size liters /
cu. in Horse- power Torque Transmission:
EPA city/hgwy Consumer Guide Observed

dohc I4 2.0 / 122 160 141 5-speed manual: 27/33
5-speed automatic: 24/33 5-speed manual: --
5-speed automatic: --

dohc I4 2.0 / 122 200-210 142 6-speed manual: 24/31 6-speed manual: 24.9

Consumer Guide® Road-Test Evaluation
An RSX can feel sluggish at low rpm, but delivers impressive power above 3000 rpm. Acura claimed that the base model with manual transmission did 0-60 mph in 7.7 seconds. A test Type-S accomplished that task in 7.8 seconds. As expected, the base model does not feel quite as quick, and an automatic transmission dulls performance somewhat. Fuel economy is appealing. Type-S test models have averaged 24.9 to 26.2 mpg, including city/highway driving and performance tests. This suggests base models will also average close to EPA city ratings. Acura recommends premium fuel for the Type-S and regular for the base model. A Type-S coupe rides slightly firmer than the base RSX, but a stiff, rattle-free structure partly compensates. Both versions feel firm, but not harsh or punishing. Steering/handling in impressive on the base model, while the firmer-damped Type-S is slightly more athletic yet. Both have minimal body lean and good grip. Steering is quick, precise and nicely weighted, delivering good road feel. Brakes are powerful, especially on the Type-S with its larger front discs. These coupes aren't the quietest for long trips. Marked tire roar is always evident, accompanied by slight wind noise at highway speeds. The engine has a nicely refined note, but best performance requires staying above 4000 rpm, where engine and exhaust can get annoyingly loud. Instruments and controls are legible and handy. Climate and audio controls are thoughtfully angled toward the driver, but slightly awkward for passenger use. The automatic climate system is less distracting to set than most rivals'. Cockpit materials are good quality, with a sporty, reasonably upscale feel--especially the Type-S with its perforated leather seats instead of cloth. Workmanship has been terrific on test Type-S coupes. An RSX is small-car snug up front, but comfortable. Front legroom is good, though headroom is limited for tall adults. Seats are firm, with prominent side bolstering, but are well-shaped and supportive. Small rear side windows, thick roof pillars and a tall deck hamper rearward visibility. The back seat is cramped for adults, but okay for kids on short trips, though headroom is very limited. Rear entry/exit is typical of small coupes: an awkward squeeze between the front seat and doorjamb, although the tip-slide right front seat helps. Cargo space is useful but not generous. All told, this is a versatile load carrier, with hatchback design and easy-fold split rear seatbacks, but high liftover is a minus. Cabin storage is slightly subpar, too.

2002-2006 Acura RSX Road Test
Pros--- Cons

Acceleration--- Noise

Steering/handling--- Rear-seat room

Instruments/controls--- Rear-seat entry/exit

stock 2005 pics

stock 2004 pics

bone stock 2005 dyno

bone stock 2002 dyno

(02-06) RSX

Drivetrain Layout:
Transverse front engine/front wheel drive

Engine:

Base: K20A3
Open deck, die cast aluminum block and head
16 valve DOHC i-VTEC
Displacement: 1998cc
Bore: 86mm
Stroke: 86mm
Horsepower: 160hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 141 ft.-lbs @ 4000 rpm
Compression Ratio: 9.8:1
Redline: 6800
Fuel: Regular unleaded

02-04 Type S: K20A2
16 valve DOHC i-VTEC
Horsepower: 200hp @ 7400 rpm
Torque: 142 ft.-lbs @ 6000 rpm
Compression Ratio: 11:1
Redline: 7900 rpm
Fuel: Premium unleaded

05-06 Type S:
16 valve DOHC i-VTEC
Horsepower: 210hp @ 7400 rpm
Torque: 143 ft.-lbs @ 6000 rpm
Compression Ratio: 11:1
Redline: 8100 rpm
Fuel: Premium unleaded

Transmission:

Base
1st: 3.266
2nd: 1.880
3rd: 1.212
4th: .0921
5th: .0738
Final Drive: 4.388

02-04 Type S:
1st: 3.266
2nd: 2.130
3rd: 1.517
4th: 1.147
5th: .921
6th: .738
Final Drive: 4.388 (05-06: 4.770)

Automatic Transmission:
1st: 2.68
2nd: 1,50
3rd: 0.98
4th: 0.73
5th: 0.57
Final Drive: 4.56

DC5:
Wheelbase: 101.2
Length: 172.4
Width: 67.9
Height: 54.9
Weight: 2775lbs
Track Front: 58.5
Track Rear: 58.5
Turning Radius: 38.1
Seating Capacity: 2+2
Front Head room: 37.8
Front Leg room: 30.1
Rear Head room: 43.1
Rear Leg room: 29.2
Drag coefficient: .33

Suspension Etc:

Front Suspension: Independent MacPherson Stut, coil springs w/ sway bar
Rear Suspension: Independent double wishbones, coil springs w/ sway bar
Stock Tires: 205/55-16 (05-06 Type S: 215/45-17)
Front Brakes: Ventilated disc, single piston caliper w/ ABS
Rear Brakes: Solid Discs, single piston caliper w/ ABS
Fuel Capacity: 13.2 ga. (50L)

Last edited:

DeetrixDc5

the only thing your missing is that the 05 and 06 have the itr cams (type r)

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
You didn't have to put false info in both threads. The cams are slightly different. Different part numbers, different lobe centerlines, different ramp rates. Put a micrometer on them and tell me they're the same. They are extremely close though

speedin

The Transporter
You didn't have to put false info in both threads. The cams are slightly different. Different part numbers, different lobe centerlines, different ramp rates. Put a micrometer on them and tell me they're the same. They are extremely close though
Thats right, the 05+ got the Type-R cams.

Friend has a 06 RSX-S. SEXYYYYYYY. Love that look, OEM optional kit, small lip spoiler, fogs. SICKness.

Only downside is the transmission weakness. Supposedly people protested outside of Acura about the poor transmissions and Acura issued a recall. But even after the recall the transmission still has problems. Now IDK if thats just the 05+ or all. I didnt ask.

But after driving his, MAN was it a rough gearbox. I was used to the 05 Accords 5mt, that baby is like shifting in butter!! Love it.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Thats right, the 05+ got the Type-R cams.
That is a negative. My friend had a set of K20Z1 and K20A cams for sell. Everyone "claimed" that they were the same based upon speculation about cross referencing similar part numbers and visual inspections (but couldn't/wouldn't prove it) so I took them to work and measured them with a Zeiss measuring machine. It is accurate up to .00002". It's more accurate than what Honda uses. The machine don't lie, the cams are different. Albeit a very small amount

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
That is a negative. My friend had a set of K20Z1 and K20A cams for sell. Everyone "claimed" that they were the same based upon speculation about cross referencing similar part numbers and visual inspections (but couldn't/wouldn't prove it) so I took them to work and measured them with a Zeiss measuring machine. It is accurate up to .00002". It's more accurate than what Honda uses. The machine don't lie, the cams are different. Albeit a very small amount
So then, is it more of a Type-R cam or a normal 04 RSX-S cam then? How different?

Never really did get into the K that in depth

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
It is very similar to the Type R cam. The primary lobe is practically identical. That may just be variation from Honda and inconsistency considering I measured them with a far more accurate machine then they use to build and check them. There is an inconsistency in the cam lobe base circle. The ITR seems to have a slightly small base circle on both lobes which would seem to necessitate a lash adjustment if they were going into a Z1. I didn't actually measure the lift from so many thousands out. I just mapped them with the machine from out of roundness in relationship to the base circumference of what would be a perfect circle. The actual lift height was just about the same but the ITR cam had a smaller base circumference which would give it a little more lift over the the base circumference than the wider base circle of the Z1. They also had steeper ramp angles with a fair amount more of lift increase per degree giving them obviously more under the curve. The centerline of the ITR secondary lobe is also shifted slightly more in the advance direction in relationship to the primary lobe. The Z1 primary and seconday lobe centerlines are aligned

The Z1 cam is closer to the A cam in specs than the A2. But it still has lobe centerlines like the A2.

Keep in mind that I only did this to the intake cam. I was wondering whether they were different so I mapped both, saw they were different and that was all I wanted to know. So these detail just pertain to the intake cam. I'm sure the exhaust is the same way but that is speculation since I didn't actually do it. I have other things to do at work than sit around mapping cams lobes for personal curiousities lol

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
So cliffs are

-Z1 has a more aggressive slope up
-Z1 gives a slight advance
-Z1 has a larger base diameter

but overall peak is VERY close?

right? lol

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Cliffs: I DID NOT COMPARE THE EXHAUST CAMS!

-ITR has a more agressive slope than Z1
-ITR has a smaller base diameter but same lobe height as Z1
-ITR has an offset secondary lobe centerline
-Z1 primary and secondary lobe centerlines are aligned

They are both very similar and I doubt you would notice a difference if you were to swap them back and forth on the same car. But they are different. I doubted Honda would make identical cams that are different part numbers. Not feasible or money efficient. Plus differences in Japan vs. US emission, gas quality....etc. I figured they weren't the same

Anyone know if theres a difference in the headlights for the 02 rsx type s and the standard rsx? Sister inlaw hit a deer and we're trying to gather parts to get it back to like new. Thanks.

Last edited:
What, you dont know what a rzxs is? lol Gawd I'm tired. Thanks for answering my question. She has a standard RSX and I found a oem used set for an 02 type s for real cheap. Thanks again!