HELP!!! b18c GSR swap

TeggyVega

Hi All!!!
I am ready to buy a b18c GSR. I have a 98 Integra GSR. i was told by the guy a few things and i want to see if they make sense or not...
He said I do not need the JDM ECU, and that i should be good installing the motor with my original GSR ECU
He also told me that i should use the harness that my car has now, and not to use the JDM harness.

I also want to know what do i need to change in order to pass emissions, i heard that i need to change a knock sensor... Is that all i need to do?
Last question... What exactly do i need to do when swaping the engine to make the vtec work, i heard that i need to change the vtec solenoid?

Please HELP!!! Thanks for all your help :)

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
do you know what year/OBD the motor is?

if it is an obd2 motor, it should bolt right in using your ecu and your existing harness.

I would get the JDM ecu if you can, usually JDM ecu's have a little bit better mapping.

do you know if the motor is JDM or USDM. Sometimes JDM motors dont have a vtec pressure switch and that can throw a check engine light.

EmminoDaGreaT

You will need to do two things, Swap vtec solenoid assemblys, as the JDM one should not have a Pressure sensor, also the JDM does not use Crankshaft Fluctuation sensor at the crank, So you can do the rewire trick, or change to obd2 oil pump w/ sensor and covers. Thats really the only differences.

TeggyVega

The motor i am getting is a 96+ JDM and it is OBD2..
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Alvi84

I swapped a JDM B18c from a 1996 from hmotorsonline. I had to convert to obd1 using a conversion harness at the ECU to bypass the crankshaft fluctuation sensor. I ordered a P28 from phearable.net and got it tuned when I installed the motor. No check engine lights and no problems after 17k miles and approaching 2 years.

You can check the thread in my signature. I swapped the JDM rhd wiring harness to the harness that was on my USDM motor. Pretty simple. All unplugs and plugs right in. Just remember to mark the TPS and one other sensor because they look the same.. Its pretty obvious though because of the wiring length which goes to what.

Last edited:

Alvi84

Here's a part I wrote in my thread in the past that I ran into that I had forgotten about...

7/18/10
So today I swapped the wire harness (since the JDM harness is a different length, battery on the opposite side, brake master cylinder on the opposite side, etc.) and it brought to my attention that the JDM motor doesn't use the Evap Purge Canister. There is no vacuum line on the intake manifold for the Evap Purge Canister so I am going to T off the brake booster vacuum line and run it from there.

You will want to take the evap purge canister off of your USDM motor so you don't throw the evap code. Its also really easy to do. You just need to unbolt the bracket from underneath the intake manifold and bolt it up under the JDM intake manifold. Just remember to mark where the lines go. One of mine was already T'd/bocked off.

VTEC Sylenoid... I did have to change the VTEC Sylenoid from the JDM one to the USDM one. 3 bolts and its off though so also not much work.

The swap is pretty seamless. Swap a few bolt on parts and remember all your evap hoses and you're straight.

Last edited:

TeggyVega

Thanks Alvi,
This will be really helpful,
I hope i wont have much trouble doing this,

EmminoDaGreaT

You don't need to convert to obd-1 ... The motor will run flawlessly without CKF, however it will throw a cel, you can bypass this by using the CYP wires, and fooling it to think there is a sensor there...

You run a wire from CYPP - CKFP
And I believe CYPM- CKFM

jdmteggy315

look i just recently did this swap, about a week ago. Swap vtec solenoid assemblys, SWAP THE FUEL PUMP, SWAP THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. AND EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD BE GOOD. I HAVE NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OR NUTTEN, KEEP YOUR ECU. I CAN SEND YOU PICS OF MY SWAP IF YOU LIKE

Alvi84

jdmteggy315 - just wondering why you swapped the fuel pump - I kept my USDM fuel pump and haven't had any problems - my AF ratios are perfect and I get 30 mpg every tank even when I have my "fun" days. --- not knocking at all... just wondering

jdmteggy315

@alvi yes you keep your usdm fuel pump. he said he is buying a jdm b18c engine which comes with the jdm fuel pump. he needs to swap the usdm into the jdm engine.that will work out nicely