No oil on dip stick?

HersTEG

I just changed my oil and after I pour 4 quart, I went to check my oil on dip stick... I see nothing tried it several times and still don't see oil on dip stick... but when I run the engine I see oil on my dip stick but can't tell if I need there is too much oil or not enough.

Last edited:
If you know you have 4 quarts in, and your motor isn't pouring out oil, don't keep adding oil.
Sounds like you have the wrong dipstick.

mirrorimg

You need to let the oil settle. You cant pour the oil in there then immediately grab the dipstick, the oil has to travel through the galleys down to the oil pan. Also, if the car is still on jackstands then the oil will be settling to one side. You will have a more accurate reading on level ground.

Does your dipstick show any damage? Is the end rough like it was broken off? There should be two holes at the end of the dipstick to denote low and full oil levels.

TheNailGuy

Yes im a NailTech
lol...no oil on the dipstick...god i have a filthy mind lol.

HersTEG

You need to let the oil settle. You cant pour the oil in there then immediately grab the dipstick, the oil has to travel through the galleys down to the oil pan. Also, if the car is still on jackstands then the oil will be settling to one side. You will have a more accurate reading on level ground.

Does your dipstick show any damage? Is the end rough like it was broken off? There should be two holes at the end of the dipstick to denote low and full oil levels.
Yeah I know that, I waited for 3 hours and came back out to my garage to test it... still nothing..

j13

Keep It Clean
you must have a short dipstick, can you post a pic of it? turn on the car than wait a while. the. check again

are you pushing it in all the way?

seahtech

This thread is crazy dirty and has great potential! lol

Anyways I do like the question of is your dipstick wrong? This could be the issue it could be the wrong length. In this instance size truely does matter. Let the vehicle sit on FLAT ground start it up for a few seconds. Shut it off and check it. It should be fine. Also put atleast 4.5qrts for ls and 5 for the R motors

HersTEG

you must have a short dipstick, can you post a pic of it? turn on the car than wait a while. the. check again

are you pushing it in all the way?
I will try to get a video of it tomorrow... My dip stick perfectly fine..