Timing belt question..

todd5854

My '97 LS has 108,000 miles, and im on the original timing belt.

We're going to wait about a month, until I graduate to take care of this because I need the car to get to school.

My question is, what happens if the belt snaps? I heard some cars have auto shut off systems, and others you blow up the cylinder head.

In one month I drive about 1,000 miles so it'll have around 109,000 miles... too risky?

I ripped off the valve cover to paint it, and I had a look at the belt, it looks like its in good shape but you can see where its starting to wear out.

Ridiculous parents wont just let me take a day off of school..... ugh.

Integra617

Chirp from 1st to 3rd!
Yeah the car will shut off. My timing belt snapped on me on my way to work one day..My advice is to change it ASAP, Luckily i didnt damage anything when mine snapped.. also while you are there change the water pump and tensioner.

rybread761

Get it changed ASAP. I purchased my Teg back in February and wasnt sure when it was done, so I had it done, and good for me, because it was the original that came with her new. And yes, as Integra617 mentioned, get the water pump and tensioner done as well. It comes as a kit, so that saves some hassle. Having a timing belt go while your driving can potentially spell disaster for the engine. The valves can get fucked majorly and then youll have to rebuild the top end.

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
tell your parents the pros vs cons.

if youre seeing it start to wear, I would change it just so I wouldnt have to worry about it. Theres a chance you could really ruin some stuff which ends up being even more expensive in the end.

Prozon

Kris
It might take you a couple hours.. do it on a weekend, no need to miss school, no need to risk driving it for another month.
On the other hand, if the belt looks fine, I wouldn't think twice about driving it a little longer.

The "auto shut off" from the belt snapping would be the car dying from being out of time. If the belt snaps your pistons could contact your valves and bend them, which would require a head rebuild.

As mentioned, get a water pump, tensioner and timing belt and take a weekend to do this.

Cripton805

The proper term is that you have an "Interference engine"

If your belt snaps, it will be very likely your engine will have damage.
The piston will have contact with the valves.
Like Prozon said.

prophetDB7

i advise to change it for peace of mind. at least you won't have to change it for another 100,000.

Here's what mine look like after 152,000. Original belt. My mechanic said it was the worst he's ever seen. A couple thousand more miles and I might have been looking at an engine swap.

yep, change the waterpump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner and I suggest adjusting the valves. Mine definitely needed an adjustment.

Last edited:
Do the timing belt service. That will include the timing belt, water pump, oil pump gasket, cam seals, valve cover gasket and spark plug grommets. Do that and you'll have peace of mind for a good while.

rnhib25

ricer all day
Do the timing belt service. That will include the timing belt, water pump, oil pump gasket, cam seals, valve cover gasket and spark plug grommets. Do that and you'll have peace of mind for a good while.
how much do you think that will cost?

Integra617

Chirp from 1st to 3rd!
i advise to change it for peace of mind. at least you won't have to change it for another 100,000.

Here's what mine look like after 152,000. Original belt. My mechanic said it was the worst he's ever seen. A couple thousand more miles and I might have been looking at an engine swap.

yep, change the waterpump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner and I suggest adjusting the valves. Mine definitely needed an adjustment.

LOL, Thats how mine was..except my Original belt lasted me 160k!!!! amazing haha

how much do you think that will cost?
Depends on the shop, but that is what a proper "timing belt service" involves. It's not just the timing belt and water pump.
At the shop I worked at in Houston it was around $400-$450 but it varied by car. The '02ish V6 Accords were more than that though because the book called for like 6-7 hours of labor for some reason.
Sometimes we even had to replace the rubber seals on the timing covers, but only if they were dry and/or rotting.