Weight Reduction Keeping A/C,P/S, CC, SRS

Removing subs and box shouldn't count as a weight reduction.

Weight reduction is pointless on a street car. To remove a significant amount of weight, you make the car un-streetable. Takes a 400 lb reduction to get 1 MPG increase.

Aero mods have a much larger effect on MPG (at freeway speeds) and 1/4 mile times. Ditch the spoiler and mud flaps. Then look into covering the large openings under the car such as the gap opposite the muffler.

+1 million..

I don't see why everyone gets in such a yank over "weight" In the 1/4 mile 100 lbs OFF is only = to .1 at the time..

THATS IT...

These cars are not FAST.. they are sporty and can be quick but thats that.. unless u go crazy and BUILD IT I see no reason to rip your car apart, remove the creature comforts all in an effort to THINK u are going faster and THINK u have a race car...

You wanna go fast u don't loose weight u spend money and go FASTER, make more power...

SPEED COST MONEY..... HOW MUCH DO U WANNA SPEND????

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
actually there is great justigfication in trying to lose weight. i dont remember an exact number, and i bet i get flamed if its wrong, but i believe that every 10lbs saved from the car is the same as an extra 1bhp. so if you think about it... when your taking 25lbs out of the car removing the back seats your actually probably making as much of a difference as a cold air intake.

actually there is great justigfication in trying to lose weight. i dont remember an exact number, and i bet i get flamed if its wrong, but i believe that every 10lbs saved from the car is the same as an extra 1bhp. so if you think about it... when your taking 25lbs out of the car removing the back seats your actually probably making as much of a difference as a cold air intake.

That is all bench racing talk.. SERIOUSLY..

Now if u are talking about "rotating mass" then yes.. The more rotating mass u remove the more USEABLE horse power u have.. (the car does not make more horsepower just the drivetrain loss is less and u get more power to the wheels.

again in a car like an integra I don't care if u take out 200lbs of weight your NOT REALLY gaining much to brag about.. if any

j13

Keep It Clean
Weight reduction is pointless on a street car. To remove a significant amount of weight, you make the car un-streetable. Takes a 400 lb reduction to get 1 MPG increase.

Aero mods have a much larger effect on MPG (at freeway speeds) and 1/4 mile times.
Well I know 400lbs was just an example for your point BUT what if you're always driving a 400lb person in your back seat everywhere....that would cost a lot at the gas station lol ...now what if you lose 400lbs thru-out the car...I would notice a quicker take off and better handling...

And yes Econo-modding is part Aero mods and Wieght reduction...you could have all the aero mods you want(patch off any opening, side wheel skirts, no passenger mirror) but that stuff wouldn't matter if you have to lug around a dead moose under your hatch :lol:

DAs_an_DCs

+1 million..

I don't see why everyone gets in such a yank over "weight" In the 1/4 mile 100 lbs OFF is only = to .1 at the time..

THATS IT...

These cars are not FAST.. they are sporty and can be quick but thats that.. unless u go crazy and BUILD IT I see no reason to rip your car apart, remove the creature comforts all in an effort to THINK u are going faster and THINK u have a race car...

You wanna go fast u don't loose weight u spend money and go FASTER, make more power...

SPEED COST MONEY..... HOW MUCH DO U WANNA SPEND????
Uhh maybe you should read the latest article in import tuner. they shaved around 600 puonds and went from running a 15.92 to a 14.86. yes they did do aero mods too, and gained 12 hp and 11 tq but theres no way that the aero mods and hp increase made them a full second faster.

Also i didnt lose any creature features if you dont remember. so whats the loss for me, a little extra noise from the sound tar being out. If you don wanna do weight reduction dont, but whenever my 145 pound buddy gets in the car it lags, like it did before weight reduction. If you look into drag racing and weight reduction its a rule of thumb that every 100 pounds gets you .2 seconds faster on your quarter mile. Think about a CRX (2000 pounds) vs a DC2 (2550 pounds)? why is the same motor in different cars almost a second faster in the quarter mile? why are race car drivers 160 pounds? weight matters alot

Last edited:

DAs_an_DCs

Found on indy racing site

"The average height of a race car driver, according to the Indy Racing League, is 5'9", which is the same as the average U.S. male height, accordingly to the National Center for Health Statistics. Average driver weight is 159, well below the U.S. male average of 189"

"Reader Krista mentions that Patrick also won in spite of a new rule aimed at the women in Indy car, which says that that lighter drivers have to carry ten more pounds on them. (Of course, the three lightest drivers in car racing are all women.) Patrick responded to this rule last month: "There's no weight limit in football...There's no height limit in basketball...And what about the strength aspect? What are they doing to fix that? As a smaller driver, I have to work harder in that area."

If the indy car racers have to deal with a minor 10 pound weight add in a 1200hp car, i think that 150 or so pounds lighter in a 170hp car will make a difference for sure.