My DA will randomly shut off at any time while driving every now and then...

gabelazo

there's been 2 instances where my 1992 DA would shut off on me while driving at any time...if i've been driving for 30 minutes or driving for close to an 1 1/2 hours. this has happened to me twice since i got the car March 26. while driving my car will drop in RPM till the engine shudders and cuts off. then when i go to start the car again the engine will turn over but not fire up. if i let the car sit for 1+ hours then attempt to start it up again it will start up just fine like nothing happened.

i happened to noticed that last time it happened an odd sound was coming from the fuel pump right before the car died. i had to push the car to a nearby relatives house and let it sit for 2 days. when i came back two days later , like i said before , the car starts up normally.
i know when you put the car in the on position the fuel pump will come on for 3 seconds and it was not doing that after it died the day of , but like i said , when i came back 2 days later it started up completely normally.
is this sign of a bad fuel pump relay ? or a bad fuel pump ? or something worse ?
i kinda figure it's the fuel relay based off what others have said in similar situations. this is my first Honda so bear with me. thanks for reading & any help would be appreciated.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
well a couple things you can do to verify are these

when you turn the key to the on position the CEL should come on for aq couple seconds ollowed by an audible click and then the pump priming.

the "Click" is the main relay... you may want to go to a pick n pull and grab a spare one to test it. Main relay issues can cause issues like this.

Next change the fuel filter. rule that out as a clogged filter can cause this sort of issue.

Check fuel pressure by bolting a pressure gauge to the filter on the line that goes to the fuel rail. verify you have roughly 40psi.. if not start diagnosing your way back to the pump.

Also, check your grounds... all of them... a bad ground can cause this as can a bad negative terminal clamp or dirty battery post.

gabelazo

Could it be that my car isn't keeping oil pressure also and the relay is functioning properly ? I'm thinking since the oil does warm up it get thinner as i drive and i lose oil pressure ?

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Your car is having an identity crisis; it's trying to be a Prius. Allow your car to work through this on it's own.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
oil pressure would not create this issue, and... if you had a loss of oil pressure that shuttered and stalled the car it would probably be your engine seizing up...

the only other issue that could cause this would be a failing o2 sensor throwing A/f ratio off so badly it stalls the car, or a bad and quirky ignition switch... those would be rather far reaching conclusions tho as their typical symptoms are ususally found when the car is just started...

your issue sounds like the typical fuel delivery or ignition system type problems these cars are know for.

Evidence Files

1995 α¢υяα ιηтєgяα ℓѕ
I work at autozone as a ps manager and I had a customer come in with the same problem, I suggested to check he's fuel pump and fuel pressure coming from hes pump and check the main relay switch or fuel relay and go from there, the next day he came back in and said he needed a fuel pump and relay problem solved. Just begin with the easy problem first then escalade to the next.

Most of problems can be checked at a auto parts or they can lend you the tools to check and its free also, replace fuel pump, fuel filter and relays are most common for any car.

gabelazo

Sometimes while driving the car will smell like gas a bit...if i may add. Thanks guys. I'll start off by ordering a new fuel relay. If i also may add i followed a toutoral and re-soldier the contacts inside the relay myself. I feel like this didnt fix the problem cause like i said in the first post , my car will resume to start and run just fine after letting the car sit for a while. Even before i took the relay out and re-soldierd it. Let me know what you guys think. I freakin love driving my car but i cant be having it cut off on me like that anymore. Cause sometimes i'll drive 80 miles out to LA and i cant be left stranded. Especially when my car runs like a champ except for this little setback.

Evidence Files

1995 α¢υяα ιηтєgяα ℓѕ
Sometimes while driving the car will smell like gas a bit...if i may add. Thanks guys. I'll start off by ordering a new fuel relay. If i also may add i followed a toutoral and re-soldier the contacts inside the relay myself. I feel like this didnt fix the problem cause like i said in the first post , my car will resume to start and run just fine after letting the car sit for a while. Even before i took the relay out and re-soldierd it. Let me know what you guys think. I freakin love driving my car but i cant be having it cut off on me like that anymore. Cause sometimes i'll drive 80 miles out to LA and i cant be left stranded. Especially when my car runs like a champ except for this little setback.
I would check tps, egr valve, mass air flow senor if you got one and check idle air control valve, and least might be crankshaft senor or camshaft sensor, but highly doubt it but check anyway.

check main relay switch if you have one.