Please Help!!

93BlackDA9

What's up everyone. Ok let me get to it. I have a 93 black DA9 (obviously), lol...it's an automatic and I had a radiator bust on me on the bottom so I ordered an all aluminum one, along with an auxiliary trans cooler...Installed that and my temp gauge would go past half way. So I started freaking out, and ended up changing the thermostat, the fan switch on the thermo housing, and also the 2-pin ECT sensor on the side of the head as well as the 1-pin engine coolant gauge sender. Same issue, after starting the car give it like ten minutes after driving and the temp gauge goes up past the halfway mark. Then I figured it could be air in the system and it wasn't properly burped, so I made sure I did that correctly and still...no change, my gauge would read past the halfway mark after starting to drive the car for like 10-15 mins...if I revved the gas hard, the needle would go back down but would go back up once I slowed down. It would never get to the H, but it would be pretty close...anyway my boy hit it with the infrared temp gun and said that the car isn't overheating, the fan works fine, he suggested that my cluster is f***ed or it's an electric issue. So my other friend had a 93 GSR, had the cluster laying around and let me use it to see if it's the cluster...I took the dash apart, pulled my cluster, installed his and drove around for like 5 minutes (if that), and the temp gauge started going past the halfway mark again....so now I'm thinking my cluster is fine...my last resort is ELECTRICAL (uuuuughhh). After reinstalling my cluster and putting everything back together, I popped the hood and as I'm looking at the temperature gauge sender wire, I noticed that it was quite frayed right by where the wire and plug meet up...sooo I thought YESSSS this HAS to be the problem!!!....soooo I grab some wire, solder to the plug, then solder back to the original yellow/green wire that goes to the sending unit and BAM....the temp gauge shot up past H like a ROCKET!!! so I'm like WTFFFFFFF!!!!!...I checked continuity on the small wire that I soldered onto the plug and it's good to go but I just can't figure this s*** out!! My next route is to run a direct wire from the temp gauge sending unit directly to my cluster...I just don't know what else to do. I can use some suggestions and advice if anyone has ever had this kind of problem.

Oh and the sensors, the fan switch and 2-pin ECT Sensor came from the Honda dealer....and the temperature gauge sending unit is discontinued for some dumb reason and I had to get that one from a local auto parts store.

Last edited: