Spring compressor needed to install springs?

Baldy201

You dont NEED spring compressors but it is very dangerous with out them. I have seen people do it with out the compressors and they shot the nut on top very far and could not find it. It is suggested to get one. Anyways you can rent one from Autozone.

slickintegra

sup baldy, with the commpresser would i hook that up befor takeing anything off also do i have to jake up the car or will it just come down??....thanks

Baldy201

you have to take the shock/spring combo off the car would be easiest way to do it. the fronts are really easy to do. the rears, the LCA bolt seems to always break on people. So just use caution when doing the rears. what i did i just left the LCA blot on and compressed the spring while the shock was still attached to the car. I recomend haveing a friend help out. When a friend and i did mine it took like 4 hours to do the rear alone. And yea jack up the car. any way you will need to take off the tires to get at the shock/spring combo so yea you will need to jack up the car. make sure u use jack stands cause a car supported on jacks only is not good. Any more questions just ask.

slickintegra

cool thanks.. 2 other question's 1 is that bolt u were talking about LC is that the big fat bolt on the top? and the spring i have theres a shorter set and a longer set, will the longer set be in the back?

Baldy201

The LCA is the bolt at the bottom of the shock. BTW LCA stands for Lower Control Arm. This bolt is the worst ever. To answer your other question, on the springs that I installed the rears were longer. But they were also labeled with a F for front and R rear. But keep in mind that my car is a 94 and yours is a 91. They should be the same but there may be small differences.

Here is a picture of the rear. On the left of the Pic you can see the shock is attached to the LCA. The bolt that connects them always breaks off for people because it is so rusted on.

abcd

holy crap four hour to put some lowering springs on. thats crazy the back is easier then the front. yeah it is pretty dangerous but not to big of a deal I just took mine all the way out layed it on the ground facing a wall slowly used a wrench and turned it till it popped off.

Baldy201

no need to delete cause maybe someone will have the same problem then you can direct them to this post and then you can save them and you time.