Car Care/Detailing Thread

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
So my girlfriend cut into our carport a little too tight and has some paint residue in the clear coat. Can that come out? To her credit- the parking spot i usually have to 4 point it in because its kind of dumb.

So i clayed the car and got most of it out but theres still some paint streaks in it. Can a polish pull it out?

R13

The other asshole
Probably.

I've pulled some paint off my integra's mirror with turtle wax paste polishing compound where someone hit it in a lowe's parking lot.

You may have to use a drill or a da polisher though, and you may have to hit it with rubbing compound first depending on how bad it is... shit advice, I know. :lol:

94RS

No fucks given.
Try polish first. If that doesn't work, you may have to move to a compound.

Normally you want to start with least aggressive, that way the spot that's being worked on doesn't look better than the rest of the car :lol: Either way, you'll have to re-wax that area.

94RS

No fucks given.
Oh, and here's the cowl I was talking about for kurd.

There were thick lines going across the middle from my shoe dragging on it before.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
So my girlfriend cut into our carport a little too tight and has some paint residue in the clear coat. Can that come out? To her credit- the parking spot i usually have to 4 point it in because its kind of dumb.

So i clayed the car and got most of it out but theres still some paint streaks in it. Can a polish pull it out?

Agreed with everyone, cleaner wax is magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Probably.

I've pulled some paint off my integra's mirror with turtle wax paste polishing compound where someone hit it in a lowe's parking lot.

You may have to use a drill or a da polisher though, and you may have to hit it with rubbing compound first depending on how bad it is... s*** advice, I know. :lol:
Try polish first. If that doesn't work, you may have to move to a compound.

Normally you want to start with least aggressive, that way the spot that's being worked on doesn't look better than the rest of the car :lol: Either way, you'll have to re-wax that area.
Agreed with everyone, cleaner wax is magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ill probably have someone do it then, ive never used anything other than my hands for detailing lol

94RS

No fucks given.
ill probably have someone do it then, ive never used anything other than my hands for detailing lol
I said the same thing fearing that I would f*** something up, then ended up buying this setup for around $80 on Amazon after reading reviews:

I've got a thing for Meguiars products :lol:

Anyway it's fairly idiot proof (I used it :rolf: ) due to it's smaller size. And since you hook it to a power drill, which are normally less powerful than traditional DA's, you're less likely to f*** your paint up even if you don't know what you're doing.

Here's a review if you're interested: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?57845#uxsKmbYoQBer4ze3.97

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I said the same thing fearing that I would f*** something up, then ended up buying this setup for around $80 on Amazon after reading reviews:

I've got a thing for Meguiars products :lol:

Anyway it's fairly idiot proof (I used it :rolf: ) due to it's smaller size. And since you hook it to a power drill, which are normally less powerful than traditional DA's, you're less likely to f*** your paint up even if you don't know what you're doing.

Here's a review if you're interested: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?57845#uxsKmbYoQBer4ze3.97
Thanks! i think ill pay someone to do hers, and practice on my integra or my 4runner. She has a new car and i dont really want to mess it up.

94RS

No fucks given.

R13

The other asshole
Using a drill or rotary buffer isn't as scary as many people think. Just put light pressure on it (5~ lbs or often just the weight of the tool) and keep moving back and forth slightly lapping over with each pass like using a paint gun and you won't have an issue. Paint is usually pretty hard to mess up unless you're using bad pads and/or harsh compound/polish, and most of the store bought polishes aren't very aggressive at all. :thumbs up

R13

The other asshole
Yeah I always wax by hand, unless I'm doing a car that has a lot of black road grime and stuff, then I use the DA polisher to get it off quick and effortlessly.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Yeah I always wax by hand, unless I'm doing a car that has a lot of black road grime and stuff, then I use the DA polisher to get it off quick and effortlessly.
That should be taken off with the clay bar, you do not want to wax with that stuff on your paint.

94RS

No fucks given.
Using a drill or rotary buffer isn't as scary as many people think. Just put light pressure on it (5~ lbs or often just the weight of the tool) and keep moving back and forth slightly lapping over with each pass
That Megs attachment that I mentioned basically glides itself, you just tell it which direction to go and where to stop... If that makes any sense? :lol:

This guy did a pretty decent video series on it:

Compound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckpEARZzre8

Polish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0441pHi2_BA

Wax:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqP7PWM05-U

And yeah, like Assy said. You have to take that shit out of the surface with clay. Or if you feel like spending the money, a clay towel.