Trans question for a friend..

HonDaReal

So my friend who has my gsr now decided for me and him to diy the third gear grinding prob. Well he replaced the synchro (3rd and 4th were b16 synchros so we replaced them with b16 bcuz we will be autox the car till its painted) well he was putting the case back on and he managed to pop a hole in the casing. The hole was created by the shift linkage bar penetrating the case.

So we jb welded the peice back in and it holds but has a slowwwww leak. Then we test drove it and 2nd 4th and reverse are a pain to shift into. We think the hole is allowing the shift linkage to move too much so it doesnt grab.

Our question is should we get another gsr casing? Swap in a LS trans and sell his as is? Or are we totally missing the prob?

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
LS casing is the same, i have an LS casing with gsr internals only that changes is the shims for the dif and did you make to have the shim at the top of 5th pointing towards 12 o clock because its not there tranny doesnt really shift properly i say take it out and inspect it, i took my tranny out like 3 times before i finally got it right

HonDaReal

So the ls casing will bolt up to a gsr tranny? Or does it have to be a complete ls casing front and back just gsr internals

Prozon

Kris
Why is it that anything was able to pop through the case at all? Did you assemble it incorrectly?

HonDaReal

Why is it that anything was able to pop through the case at all? Did you assemble it incorrectly?
It was his fault lol he thought it was this pin at the top keeping the case from closing one hundred percent so he put in a few bolts to try and line everything up and we heard two pops then the piece just fell out. The case has stress marks all over it so it seemed brittle to begin with