running very rich

dinghydan

Hi guys
having a lot of trouble trying to solve whats wrong with my car. For some reason it is running very rich and unburnt fuel is even leaving the exhaust. It all started when the check engine light came on a week ago. I pulled over and noticed that I had no throttle response at all - any acceleration caused the engine to bog and almost stall. The ecu was throwing a code 4 crank position sensor but the engine was still running and idles fine (does this make sense???). Since breaking down I have replaced the dizzy with a used one from the wreckers, it is good though as I have done a spark test and also checked that the spark is strong under load. Wires and plugs have also been replaced. Next I swapped out the tps for another one, this didn't change anything. I have checked the voltages to the map, tps and iat sensors and seems all good. The ecu seems to throw out random codes (obd0), it consistants gives a code 4, but has given a code 7 and 10 as well which are the IAT and TPS. The TPS light disappeared when I swapped it with the other one. I have treble checked all the ground wires and cannot find any issues there. The sensors all get a good ground of between 11.5 and 12 volts.
My symptoms are this:

-car starts and idles fine, no hunting or anything and idles high initially at cold and drops to 750 rpm when hot.

-upon sharp acceleration the car bogs badly and nearly stalls, this only happens when accelerating from less than 1000rpm. If the throttle is slowly ramped up then the car does not try to stall.

-when I initially start the car the idle is high due to the cold start system and so it does not bog as bad.

-the exhaust gas smells disgusting and unburnt fuel leaves the exhaust.

I am increasingly thinking that is could a fuel pressure issue but it happened so suddenly on the side of the road, I can't see that a clogged exhaust or high fuel pressure could just happen all of a sudden, hence why I am looking at the electrical system. Could my ECU be at fault here?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Have you checked the mechanical timing? If you are still getting a crank position error despite the Distributor swap then something else is seriously wrong, perhaps your timing is way off or wiring from the dist to the ecu is corroded. That will explain unburnt fuel if ignited at the wrong time bc the ecu doesnt know where the crank is.

dinghydan

ooh just noticed that the timing has to be set with the grey plug shorted. Perhaps it is really far off.... I'll check it out tomorrow.