Rattling noise from engine

McMahon

JackTuned
I think its bent valves from over revving.

But its not a steady sound. Its not a ticking nor knocking, it sounds like a rattle.

Think my timing belt skipped a couple teeth?

Jabes

is it coming from the head or the bottom end? to check the timing you gotta light up the crank pulley with the marks on the side cover and then make sure that the cams are ligned up properly too

McMahon

JackTuned
is it coming from the head or the bottom end? to check the timing you gotta light up the crank pulley with the marks on the side cover and then make sure that the cams are ligned up properly too
Its really hard to tell, its definitely coming from the engine though.

To check the marks to see if its lined up, do I just remove the case thats over the cam gears?

Cman46290

oil level is good and full?

And where is the noise coming from as stated above...

Jabes

Its really hard to tell, its definitely coming from the engine though.

To check the marks to see if its lined up, do I just remove the case thats over the cam gears?
Yeah, you have to remove the valve cover to check the timing on the cams and on the crank pulley theres a few lines on the pulley that you have to lign up with the raised arrow mark on the timing belt cover

McMahon

JackTuned
oil level is good and full?

And where is the noise coming from as stated above...
Yes oil is fine, I'm past due on a change though.

The sound is from the engine, I assume from the head because when you open the hood, its pretty loud.

@Jabes, I'll have to check that out. Thanks,

/e
Any other possibilities?

Cman46290

change the oil.. and go from there... sometimes dirty oil will make the engine more noise... or even a plugged up oil filter.... my friends RSX Type S was making a lot of racket... and he was overdue for his LOF... and it turned out his filter was plugged.... so go get an oil change and see if that helps before going any further.

Jabes

Yes oil is fine, I'm past due on a change though.

The sound is from the engine, I assume from the head because when you open the hood, its pretty loud.

@Jabes, I'll have to check that out. Thanks,

/e
Any other possibilities?
if you said its pretty loud and from overrevving it might be a rod knock, does the car sound like a diesel?

Jabes

Nope, its not that deep of a tone.
hmmm is it a stock header cause if it is then it might be the heatshields, if not id check the valve clearence to make sure thats not causing the rattling and when you change the oil check for any metal shavings in it

McMahon

JackTuned
hmmm is it a stock header cause if it is then it might be the heatshields, if not id check the valve clearence to make sure thats not causing the rattling and when you change the oil check for any metal shavings in it
Its not stock header, no heatshield.

I dont plan on changing my own oil just because I work a lot and thats something that is faster and cheaper to go somewhere else.

McMahon

JackTuned
Update!

Here's a video of the sound. First its just rattling then it adds a squeeking to the rattling,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1a7Nr3CoaA

Also, tomorrow I'll get an oil change and then get under the car and take a look around. Been too busy with work.

Ideas?

Timing Belt skipped a couple teeth?
Bent valves from over revving?
Exhaust hanger?
Loose header?

Last edited:

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
the squeak sounds like when my hood pins rub against my hood, but you dont have hood pins, was it coming from the engine or one of the sides of the car. im not sure what the tick would be, sounds like something that would come from the head though. i also noticed that your check engine light is on, did that come on when the noise started?