Frankenstein

here&there

In St. Louis, MO
Yes, internals are needed.

To put it as simply as I understand the Frank...you need to run the engine past the OEM redline.

Doing this allows the engine to continue to make HP, from 7000-9500 rpm.

So, you have to run the RPMs up to about 9500 and the stock internals can not survive the abuse.

Chime in, if there is an easier way to explain it?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Yes, internals are needed.

To put it as simply as I understand the Frank...you need to run the engine past the OEM redline.

Doing this allows the engine to continue to make HP, from 7000-9500 rpm.

So, you have to run the RPMs up to about 9500 and the stock internals can not survive the abuse.

Chime in, if there is an easier way to explain it?
He doesn't need all new internals as long as his stock ones are in good shape. However he will need stronger rod bolts and head studs regardless.

JDMb20DC2

People say you need ARP head bolts but some don't but you need a complete VTEC head (GSR/SI/TypeR) and a chipped ECU or a vtec ecu

CokedoutTeg

Check this out brother, here is a formula for a setup that I know. Your gonna need a b18a1 or b18b1 LS block. a1 is the early Ls block and b1 is the later one. Get a b1, its gonna cost you about $100.00. You can find your LS Vtec kit(details) at
www.ls-vtec.com. If your going all-motor, choose, GSR crank,Type R crank(these two are pretty similar) or an LS crank. The LS crank is going to give you a few more horses and torque on the dyno. (5 hp more or less, estimate). Type R connecting rods and pistons. Get ARP rod bolts(you need superior connecting rod bolts so you don't throw a rod at high RPM) and head bolts, ARP are the best in my opinion. Now choose a GSR head or a B16 head. You gotta do your research and find out which one you want. Make sure you upgrade your valve train; that's gonna allow you to make power at high rpm. I have a Supertech valve train in mine. There are many good ones out there. A Gsr tranny gearing will work well with this set up. The hardest part of all this is the wiring harness. Your going to need a OBD1 ecu. You gotta do research on all the little stuff bro.( valves, valve springs,cams, cam gears, intake manifold, fuel rail, high flow fuel pump, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, gauge, etc). Pick a top notch head gasket too. Do in depth research on the machine shop of your choice. Choose a good one. Don't go cheap on this. A good tuner too, like GO POWER Motorsports in Hesperia, CA. That's just a basic rundown. Still learning. Take you time dog. Good Luck!

Check this out brother, here is a formula for a setup that I know. Your gonna need a b18a1 or b18b1 LS block. a1 is the early Ls block and b1 is the later one. Get a b1, its gonna cost you about $100.00. You can find your LS Vtec kit(details) at
www.ls-vtec.com. If your going all-motor, choose, GSR crank,Type R crank(these two are pretty similar) or an LS crank. The LS crank is going to give you a few more horses and torque on the dyno. (5 hp more or less, estimate). Type R connecting rods and pistons. Get ARP rod bolts(you need superior connecting rod bolts so you don't throw a rod at high RPM) and head bolts, ARP are the best in my opinion. Now choose a GSR head or a B16 head. You gotta do your research and find out which one you want. Make sure you upgrade your valve train; that's gonna allow you to make power at high rpm. I have a Supertech valve train in mine. There are many good ones out there. A Gsr tranny gearing will work well with this set up. The hardest part of all this is the wiring harness. Your going to need a OBD1 ecu. You gotta do research on all the little stuff bro.( valves, valve springs,cams, cam gears, intake manifold, fuel rail, high flow fuel pump, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, gauge, etc). Pick a top notch head gasket too. Do in depth research on the machine shop of your choice. Choose a good one. Don't go cheap on this. A good tuner too, like GO POWER Motorsports in Hesperia, CA. That's just a basic rundown. Still learning. Take you time dog. Good Luck!
You should not be giving advice...
1) Putting a GSR/Type R crank in an LS block de-strokes it...not good
2) LS rods don't work on a GSR/Type R crank.
3) Wiring it up is simple with a jumper harness
4) He doesn't need to waste money on upgrading the fpr, fuel rail, fuel pump, injectors, or the intake mani(the oem units will work just fine)

You keep telling him to do research...maybe you should too.