No crank can't think of anything that would cause it

OnlyOneTone

I've gone through the other threads and can't seem to find anything. Okay first off main relay is good, checked battery, it will roll start, lights and dash light up before. Turn the key and only a very faint click. Fuel pump is good, fuses are good. I'm at a loss on what it could be.

Nick_C78

Do anything recently before the issue happened? Check the tranny ground wire. Also it could just be a dead starter...they do go out from time to time. If you can push start it like you say then it is starter related. Either the starter isn't getting power(Wiring, faulty ignition, even a bad neutral safety switch will prevent the starter from getting power) or it is dead.

Last edited:

OnlyOneTone

The starter is brand new. I got an oil change they day before. Changed the head gasket, spark plugs, and spark plug wires just a few weeks ago.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Check the solenoid wire to the starter. (the smaller wire). it may not be making a good connection. simple test you can do is take a wire and jump from battery + to the starter solenoid and it should spin the starter (make sure its not in gear duh). If it spins then the problem is upstream.

Nick_C78

Yeah, I was going to suggest what muckman said. Do that first and it will tell you if the starter is toast. Just because it is brand new doesn't mean it can't break, especially if it is a cheap brand.

OnlyOneTone

How would I check the clutch switch and once I get off work I'm going to check the starter. Just wire it to the +?

Nick_C78

Yes. You can also just run a jumper wire from the starters hot wire(fat one) to the solenoid terminal(flat plug that the small wire was connected to). That is essentially doing the same thing. I usually just use a screw driver to bridge the two, but a wire would be easier. Again, make sure you listen to Muckman's warning and make sure the car is not in gear.

As for the clutch switch, aka neutral safety switch, you can unplug it and bridge the wires together... Actually, I can't remember if the wires are suppose to be bridged(closed circuit) or unbridged(open circuit) for the car to be able to start. Maybe someone else can remember. Bridged makes more sense though, otherwise just unplugging it would remove the need to use it.

Edit: Yeah you could rig up a push button starter as a temporary solution, but I personally wouldn't want to use it for very long. I had one on my accord, because sometimes the key wouldn't turn the car on and I grew tired of pushing it. It is simple, you just need a heavy duty push button switch from kragen or autozone and run a wire from + battery terminal to the switch and from the switch to the solenoid. Use it as a temp solution though.

Last edited:

OnlyOneTone

It was the solenoid wire. For the time being I rigged up a switch. How would I go about replacing the solenoid wire?

Nick_C78

Follow it. Going to be a complete b****, but there is no other way if you want to do it properly. However, how do you know it isn't the ignition switch itself? The short could be inside the ignition and you just followed the wire for nothing.

Last edited: