P0505 Idle control monitor

Murphy

Meat Master
So I need some help with my CEL. Not long after I reinstalled my intake manifold I got a P0505. I looked online and I read that the only way to get this code is because of incorrect voltage of the iacv.

Is this assumption correct? Also I have a voltmeter, but I'm not sure how to use it to actually test the voltage in the iacv connection.

My cel symptoms is a wide roaming idle which turns into a rapid 1200-1500 roaming idle.

Is there any chance it's the fast idle air valve? Is it possible to tighten that plastic screw too much in it and would it lead to this problem?

Both valves are completely clean. My cel started 4 days after I put the intake manifold back in. I really appreciate any help, this is a fucking $180 part and I want to be positive that's the problem before buying it.

Murphy

Meat Master
Well I used my code scanner to preform a test. I cleared the code, unplugged the iacv, started the engine and the P0505 code didn't come back on. So this means some circuit in the iacv is bad itself. Fortunately I found a new one on EBay for $100 with a 1 year warranty.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Iacv rarely goes bad.

If you do not properly readjust base idle with a warm engine and oacv unplugged this can occur.

Junkyard parts work fine for 5$

It's prob just a short or loose connector.

Murphy

Meat Master
I'll try fiddling around with the idle. I'll clean out both connectors again and tap the iacv with a hammer. Hitting broken things with hammers always fixes them per Top Gear.

Murphy

Meat Master
I fixed it! After turning the idle screw all the way in I backed it out a 3/4 turn. Reset the ecu, cleaned out the iacv connections. Car idles perfectly at 750 rpm, double checked it with a live data test. Hopefully I'll be able to return that damn $100 eBay iacv.

Thanks don! Telling me that iacv rarely go back made me put in the effort to figure out the problem.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Glad you could save some $. Hopefully you learned something too.

Should be able to say its the wrong part or etc and get a refund.

Murphy

Meat Master
Yeah I had to back out the idle screw a while ago to maintain an adequate idle. After cleaning the tb and intake too much air was going in. I got a refund within 2 hours of emailing the seller I'm all set.