how to clean drainage line on moonroof

The[R]

could someone please tell me how to get to and clean the drain lines to stop my leak? itsa 94 integra btw if anyone wondered

The[R]

i just bought the car and i haven't seen the leaks myself but the previous owner said it had a leak in the moonroof due to clogged drains so i have no idea where the leak is yet from a lack of rain.

JohnCarter

There is some stuff for cleaning home heating system sump pumps but I dont' know how suitable it would be for cars. Suggest contacting the dealer. Auto parts stores might could recommend something. Let us know what you find out. We all should probably use something annually.

mjones73

The[R];744523 said:
i just bought the car and i haven't seen the leaks myself but the previous owner said it had a leak in the moonroof due to clogged drains so i have no idea where the leak is yet from a lack of rain.
Get the hose out and wash it down...

grayghost

The reason I asked where the leak is showing up is that helps the diagnosis and recommendation of what to do about it.

Water cominging from moonroof:
Clogged drain tube(s) are just one of the possibilities. Also check rubber gaskets around the moonroof. This type of leak should show up in the headliner.

Water in the driver's or front passenger footwell:
This could indicate that the problem is either where the drain hose goes into the rubber valve or a problem with the rubber valve itself. A leak around the windshield could also be the culprit.

Water in the rear seat footwells:
This is probably water that has sloshed over the gas tank from the trunk and would indicate standing water in the trunk. If the water is in this area only I would check the seal around the quarter windows.

Trunk/Hatch Area:
Driver's Side
1. Bottom of antenna mast to hose.
2. Antenna mast hose to y connection on 'rubber' valve.
3. Moon roof hose to 'rubber' valve.
4. Blockage in 'rubber' valve.

Passenger Side
1. Moon roof hose to 'rubber' valve.
2. Blockage in 'rubber' valve.

Other possible points of entry for water; where antenna passes through the body, rear taillight gaskets failure, rubber trim around the hatch itself and the overflow drain from the gas filler.

If you are not sure where the problem is, remove the interior at the "suspect" location so you can see the possible leak points. Have friend spray the car with a hose while you sit inside and look for the leak.

Have you actually checked the hoses for blockage? This is easy. With the moonroof open, CAREFULLY pour a cup of water into each of the four drain holes in the moonroof. If water comes out on the ground behind the respective front or rear wheel that hose is not blocked.

If one is blocked, I would try LOW PRESSURE air to try and clear the blockage. If this doesn't work I would then clear the rubber valve where the drain hose exits the car. This has a design flaw that allows debris to buld up until it blocks the drain. This causes the water to leak from where the hose slides into the valve. HINT: Reassemble with silicon.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

GUnited

The reason I asked where the leak is showing up is that helps the diagnosis and recommendation of what to do about it.

Water cominging from moonroof:
Clogged drain tube(s) are just one of the possibilities. Also check rubber gaskets around the moonroof. This type of leak should show up in the headliner.

Water in the driver's or front passenger footwell:
This could indicate that the problem is either where the drain hose goes into the rubber valve or a problem with the rubber valve itself. A leak around the windshield could also be the culprit.

Water in the rear seat footwells:
This is probably water that has sloshed over the gas tank from the trunk and would indicate standing water in the trunk. If the water is in this area only I would check the seal around the quarter windows.

Trunk/Hatch Area:
Driver's Side
1. Bottom of antenna mast to hose.
2. Antenna mast hose to y connection on 'rubber' valve.
3. Moon roof hose to 'rubber' valve.
4. Blockage in 'rubber' valve.

Passenger Side
1. Moon roof hose to 'rubber' valve.
2. Blockage in 'rubber' valve.

Other possible points of entry for water; where antenna passes through the body, rear taillight gaskets failure, rubber trim around the hatch itself and the overflow drain from the gas filler.

If you are not sure where the problem is, remove the interior at the "suspect" location so you can see the possible leak points. Have friend spray the car with a hose while you sit inside and look for the leak.

Have you actually checked the hoses for blockage? This is easy. With the moonroof open, CAREFULLY pour a cup of water into each of the four drain holes in the moonroof. If water comes out on the ground behind the respective front or rear wheel that hose is not blocked.

If one is blocked, I would try LOW PRESSURE air to try and clear the blockage. If this doesn't work I would then clear the rubber valve where the drain hose exits the car. This has a design flaw that allows debris to buld up until it blocks the drain. This causes the water to leak from where the hose slides into the valve. HINT: Reassemble with silicon.

Hope this helps
^^^ What he said :) In mine, I had standing water under the rear seats and in the trunk. After further investigation my pass side drain tube was disconnected=water has free friggin access. Ordered parts hope they get here soon

grayghost

I would think this would apply to almost all Integras. If you go to Del Ray Acura's Parts site and enter your information you can check the very detailed parts drawings. For the 1990 Integra GS with sunroof I found

This image is close enough to my 1995 GSR to make think that all of this would apply to a 1990-1993 GS.